Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Apr 15, 2010, 07:55 AM
    Should I take the job offer?
    Hey you guys! How are you today?

Currently I am working for the state as a Temp. I go from office to office every 6-9 months (unless I get extended to stay longer) but I have to find my own permanent job for the state.

I have been called to have a interview at this place that is NOT a state job but they pay good money. I am told that I will be making $13 an hr if I get the job. Its call center work. I would be working in a office answering phones for people needing help with their phones. It's that kind of work. My mom works at the same building.

Now I am estatic about this interview because I've been waiting for someone to call me about a good paying job for the longest time, but what if I get the job? I'm confused about whether I would take it or not. I worked hard to get into the state as an employee. Now to just leave... I don't want it to be hard for me to get back in if the time ever came.

What do you guys think? What would you do?

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 08:09 AM

I would be concerned about leaving "secure" State employment for an employment at will job. How "secure" is the State job?

How do the benefits of both compare?

Apr 15, 2010, 11:13 AM

Its not that secure cause for 1. Im a temp clerk. Meaning Im not guarunteed a job.. meaning after my time is up at whatever office they have me at, if they have another office available I get sent there, if not I would have to wait until they have something. 2. There is a hiring freeze. Meaning, there are no opening for permanent positions at the moment. And also I get no benefits.

So I would say that its 50% secure
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 11:22 AM

It's a smart move to pick the most secure of the two. So, you're on the right track.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 11:55 AM

Depending on your experience in the call center "field" that job may or may not be more secure - I know it's a profession with a very large turn over.

Benefits to both?

If you are separated from the State job can you collect Unemployment?

Apr 20, 2010, 09:31 AM

Well I went to the interview & I have more info about the job. The lady said that I would be doing mostly data entry. I won't be the one answering the calls.

The job is "part" of the state. Basically, if the state departments have issues with their phones then "we" would be the ones to help them... with their phones. That's what the job is. Of course the people that answer the phone make more.. they make $13 a hr. Data entry workers make $12 a hr. Not bad.

Apr 20, 2010, 09:33 AM

@ JudyKayTee - Where I am at now, No I do not get benefits. I have to be a permanent state worker in order to get those. And no, I cannot collect unemployment.. also, because I am not permanent. We temps don't get nothing!

This other job offers benefits after 30 days or work
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 09:35 AM
    I worked in a call center for a short while after a layoff. It seemed to be a place where people went while looking for a "real" job. I saw the employees peel off one by one for jobs that had better hours and some security; I also saw others that were caught in a call center wheel, going from contract to contract. To each his own but I prefer security over the crappy hours and fickleness of call centre contracts.

Apr 20, 2010, 09:40 AM

@ NeedKarma - It Not Call Center work. Sorry for confusing you. I thought it was too, until I went for the interview.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Hehe, I kept the Reply window open too long. I guess if you are in the US benefits are important to you so go for that.

Apr 20, 2010, 09:47 AM

@ NeedKarma - Yes, benefits are really important! At least to me it is. Doctors bills and visits & all other appts are expensive without insurance. I haven't been to the doctors (not that I like going lol) or had health insurance for almost 6 years!
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
    I don't have to worry about that here in Canada but it factors in your decision there. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Job offer [ 3 Answers ]

Okay well in one of my classes I have to do a pretend resume, but with that I need to find a job offer, you know like a written one, a real one that I can print out and put in my binder to say that's what my resume is for. I would like to find a job offer for something to do with animals, mainly a...

About a job offer [ 4 Answers ]

I got a job offer from a company named moon group inc. sounds like a good job, but is this a real company? I'm a little worried just because it's dealing with my personal accounts and don't trust much over the net.:confused:

How to handle a job offer. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have worked for a large corporate (6000+ employees) for the past two summers as an intern while going to school. In May I will be graduating and they have called and offered me a full time job position pending graduation. I have a few questions... How do I handle the original...

Job Offer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get a job online and earning at home?

Only hit it once, new job offer. [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so, I am not a drug user but, one night I got way to drunk to turn anything down, thank god there were people there with me I trusted to watch most of the things I did. Well, I took one hit off a thing called a... one hitter(?) This was in the middle of June (keep in mind) 1st time doing it in...

View more questions Search