Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
    Cooking artichokes
    So I've got two big, yummy looking artichokes. I've only cooked artichokes once or twice before and I'll I did was boil them in water and I remember it seemed to take forever before I could eat them. Anyone with any tips for cooking them? I do have a crock pot. I was thinking about trying them in there, but have no idea if I should do it on low or high or how long they would need on either temp.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 14, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Which sort do you have as there are two.

Globe:

Or Jerusalem:

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 01:01 PM

Hi again justy, glad I can help a second time. Artichokes are NOT to be eaten cooked and whole. They are meant, actually, to be eaten as an apeirtif. Take one big artichoke and cut off bottom so it sits flat. This is for one, but you can double depending on your steamer. Place in steamer and cook until LEAVES become soft. In the meantime get a bowl ready with some of your fave salad dressing (I like a good italian, as in Kraft). Peel off one leaf dip in dressing and gently, with leaf side up, slide over your bottom teeth until you feel the meat coming off. Repeat until the whole all leaves are eaten, do not eat the pulp.

This is my way. Sorry it may not be explicit, it actually has to be shown. This is the way I learned how to eat them in Greece before a dinner.

Tick
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 01:03 PM

I hope justy means the big greens ones !

Tick
    BossMan

Apr 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Tickle, good call, but you forgot the best part, THE HEART.

Once the leaves stop having a fleshy end (part nearest the middle) it's time for some minor surgery.

As you where removing the leaves a ridge starts to form.
    With a sharp knife, gently remove the remaining leaves and thistle flower head.

You will be left with the heart, which is a pale green colour.
    You will have a little more greenery to remove, like the stalk and some tougher leaves.
    This then needs to be cut out and eaten with more butter.

Well worth the effort!
    BossMan

Apr 14, 2010, 01:12 PM
    Ooops sorry about the size of that one, (changed it for a smaller one) but there's details here: http://timeinthekitchen.com/2008/12/...omment-page-1/

Details how to clean, with pictures are here: How to Clean Artichoke Bottoms and Hearts for Use in Moroccan Recipes
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 01:54 PM

Very interesting CB, but if I want artichoke hearts I buy them canned. Much easier for recipes where they are called for.

I really LIKED THAT BIG ARTICHOKE FOR MY RECIPE:D

Does anyone want the other greek recipe for a complete diner, with artichokes as the apertifif (sorry for the spelling, martini had too many olives,. hic... ic... ). The wonderful thing about that aperitif, is that it is slow and easy. Talking around each leaf (and martinis)f, nice wine, lots of ouzo, etc.

Hugs (hicupp, icccc) tick
    BossMan

Apr 14, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Can't beat fresh ones, especially after eating the leaves ;)
    Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Can't beat fresh ones, especially after eating the leaves ;)
    Mmmmm but what kind of dressing do you use. Sometimes I dish up feta, balsamic and olive oil and just dip away.

Balsamic vinegar is underated, and some I have come across has been aged for a few years but never had the opportunity to try.

Tick
    BossMan

Apr 14, 2010, 03:02 PM
    Dressing, well not really, just some good quality butter, slightly salted.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 03:08 PM

Okay, you all have got me wanting to try artichokes. I've never had them.

What's the nutritional benefit? Are they high in iron because that's what I need right now.
    twinkie15 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2010, 03:09 PM

I would bakes them but put a little olive oil over the top of them and 400 degrees until they get soft with some salt garlic and pepper and melt some cheese over the top.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 04:20 PM

I always steam like Tick said and usually only about 20 minutes. I have never boiled:eek: But when you can pull a leaf off with out too much trouble they are ready.
    CB was right as far as the heart goes, make it down to the bottom and cut the furry stuff off with a butter knife and then just cut the heart up and it is great.

The pointy part of the leaves you do not eat and some are spiky, so be careful. They are great and one could be a complete meal.

I have had them baked with OO and hard cheeses sprinkled in between the leaves, but that seems like a lot of trouble:rolleyes:

dipping sauces...
    Butter and a little lemon juice or salted butter plain
    A good mustard spicy
    Mayo and lemon (layonaise?)
    Mustard and mayo
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 04:24 PM

Jerusalem Artichokes can be sautéed in what ever you prefer. They can also be eaten raw.

Don't try to grow them, they will take over everything and you will have them for the rest of your life. I'm still trying to find a good canning recipe for what I have left.

Pretty yellow sunflowerish flowers though:) and tall 8-10 feet:eek:
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 10:52 PM

Wow! So many great ideas. I especially appreciate the pics ben. I've always had trouble getting to the heart. And dahlia and tick, now I have so many more dippings to try them with. I feel like any health benefits they have go out the window when I eat them with just mayo or butter. Thanks so much everyone!
    Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 04:07 AM

Thanks, CB, for the surgery demo. I will try that next time.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking without an oven [ 13 Answers ]

Your oven has died, but you have four burners on the stovetop and a microwave oven. What meat dish would you cook and how?

Cooking [ 2 Answers ]

My Grandmother used to make me homemade potato chips Anyone have a recipe or method for making homemade potato chips? Lshadylady

Cooking is . [ 3 Answers ]

Cooking is... A Good Way to Excel Creativity & Relaxation Fun & Enjoyable Interesting When I Have a Lot of Time Depressing as Every time I Want to Cook Something, Something Goes Wrong Absolutely Horrible & A Pain in the Butt to Me Which one or more do you identify...

Cooking for one? [ 8 Answers ]

Just a quick question: My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is...

Cooking a turkey [ 2 Answers ]

How long do you cook a turkey? So many minutes per pound??

View more questions Search