Ask
    lilc3434 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 09:13 PM
    algebra
    what's the answer to this problem 4 1/3 x 4 1/4 1/3 and 1/4 are exponents
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Dec 3, 2006, 09:20 PM
    your problem is: 4^(1/3)x4^(1/4)

multiplying two numbers with the same base but different exponents is done by adding the exponents
    x^a*x^b=x^(a+b)

for example:
    2^3*2^4=2^(3+4)=2^7=128

hope this helps!
    Elisha Grey Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Jan 18, 2007, 06:26 PM
    4^(1/3) + 4^(1/4) = 4^((1/3) +1/4)) = 4^(7/12) = (2^2)^7/12) =2^(2*(7/12)) = 2^(7/6)
    ryanisawinner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 12:44 PM

How do you add or sub fractions in alegebra with diff denominators

Dec 8, 2008, 12:51 PM
    This should be a new question. However, just like with normal numbers you need to get to a common denominator. For example,

Dec 18, 2008, 06:45 AM

juhi2011, if you think my answer is wrong please provide the right answer to prove that you are correct so that I may have a chance to disagree with you.
    juhi2011 Posts: 91, Reputation: 4

Dec 18, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asterisk_man View Post
    your problem is: 4^(1/3)x4^(1/4)

multiplying two numbers with the same base but different exponents is done by adding the exponents
    x^a*x^b=x^(a+b)

for example:
    2^3*2^4=2^(3+4)=2^7=128

hope this helps!
    Hey don't stir your nerve.. be cool and read this..
    Up to the statement which you have written is correct ..."multiplying two numbers with the same base but different exponents is done by adding the exponents
    x^a*x^b=x^(a+b)" but after that the powers are a fraction that is 1/3 and 1/4 but you have added 3 and 4. even if you are changing the base as to the powers become 2/3 and 2/4... do you agree or disagree now??

Dec 18, 2008, 09:36 PM

I couldn't disagree more.
    My example did not use fractional exponents.
    Do you disagree that 2^3*2^4=128?
    Do you disagree with the identity x^a*x^b=x^(a+b)?
    I gave an example of how to multiply two numbers with the same base but different exponents. I assumed that the original poster was advanced enough to know how to add fractions.
    Unless you can point to something that is incorrect with my answer I would appreciate it if you'd admit your mistake and be more conservative with your negative ratings in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help with algebra II [ 7 Answers ]

I have many problems.First I have to solve an equation algebraically using a number line.I know how to do it but one problem is tricky. 0 is less than or equal to -x squared -3x-70 how can I answer this?

Algebra II help [ 4 Answers ]

I am stuck on the equations with division like this one 4x+4/2=3(x+2)-2 my brain locks up and I have no idea how to get rid of the fraction and I know that is what I should do first right?? some one please help me Zak:(

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please help me with this algebra problem: find points and slope of the following linear equation: (y+1)= -1/2(x-2) I know the slope is -1/2 Are the points (2, -1)??

Algebra! Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in solving a couple of problems that I am still really stuck with even though I have tried lots of ways of solving it and don't feel that my answers are correct. Please help! I want full detail on each problem so that I can understand how to begin and complete the problems. 1. Solve...

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

simplify 1.(x^m+2)(x^-2)(x^m-5)

View more questions Search