Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sohotitsscary Posts: 91, Reputation: 5

Apr 13, 2010, 07:33 PM
    Why do people lighten the skin?
    Since I joined amhd I've noticed "skin lighting" threads I've no idea what this is about, can anybody explain this practice to me?
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Apr 13, 2010, 08:45 PM

... What is it you really want to know?
    The art or the reason?
    Both the former and later have a thousand methods and reasons respectively.
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

Apr 14, 2010, 04:27 AM

sohotitsscary,

Whilst you are pondering this question , you might find it helpful to also ask why some people tan, dye their hair , get a nose job, wear certain clothes... etc and it might give you an idea of some of the reasons people lighten. It may just simply be a preferred choice and that is as simple as it may get.

Sometimes too much is analysed, rather than just seeing that in a free society, we are, thankfully, able to make choices of how we want to look and yes if people want to question it, that is also fine, but those who ask these questions, should also look at everything else that goes on in this world and realise the answer is already there. Why does anybody do anything ? Because they can, because they want to and the list goes on.

Apr 15, 2010, 10:48 AM

So what your saying is its like a life beauty choice?

Does it damage the skin?

Apr 15, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sohotitsscary View Post
    so what your saying is its like a life beauty choice??

does it damage the skin??
    It's a choice...
    Damage? If done right,no damage.If done badly... kiss damage welcome.
    Did you know that tanning and bleaching have one common disease? Cancer!!

Apr 19, 2010, 01:47 PM

Oh like what Michael jackson was doing to his skin?
    ( I just using mr. jackson as exsample cause I don't know how to word what I'm asking so I don't offened any body )
    Dizzellz112 Posts: 154, Reputation: 8

Apr 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Yeah but MJ did it because he had too...
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Apr 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Violaename View Post
    Its a choice...
    Damage? If done right,no damage.If done badly...kiss damage welcome.
    Did you know that tanning and bleaching have one common disease? Cancer!!!!!!!!
    Can you show me where someone was diagnosed with cancer because they bleached their skin:confused:
    mistyjane Posts: 271, Reputation: 59

Apr 19, 2010, 03:54 PM
    since i joined amhd ive noticed "skin lighting" threads ive no idea what this is about, can anybody explain this practice to me?
    Why people lighten their skin?
    Simple: Why not?

Apr 19, 2010, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    Can you show me where someone was diagnosed with cancer because they bleached their skin:confused:
    ... and because they tanned their skin too?
    Truth be told,I have read that when one destroys the black pigment on the found on the epidermis,it exposes the dermis layer to dangerous UV rays and makes the skin more prone to skin cancer.

Same too with tanning as I read... over expose to UV rays causes darkening of the skin and this too can lead to... yes.

I am just saying what I read... Its funny that either way MAY/CAN end up the same way.
    But again... there are so many people who have had cancer when they didn't do any of these... I get scared reading these stuff sometimes.Cancer is like everywhere... At one point they said canned food causes cancer.It keeps coming on and on.
    SouthAfricacute Posts: 140, Reputation: 18

Apr 19, 2010, 11:05 PM
    oh like what micheal jackson was doing to his skin?
    ( i just using mr. jackson as exsample cause i dont know how to word what im asking so i dont offened any body )
    Sounds like you up for argument
    Your not really asking.
    Why don't you say what you want too.
    Which sounds like "why you guys bleaching,that's so wrong"
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 12:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthAfricacute View Post
    Your not really asking.
    Calm down.

I really think that the OP has no idea at all what skin lightening is, how it's done.

I don't think she's admonishing anyone for choosing to lighten, I think she really doesn't know what it is.

I have to admit, before I came to this site I didn't know that there were tons of products out there just for lightening skin. I had no idea that it was even possible. Yes, I live in a box. ;)

Just try to remember that everyone isn't out to get you or question why you're doing what you're doing. Some people really don't know about these products. This is your chance to educate.

Okay? :)

Apr 22, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthAfricacute View Post
    Your not really asking.
    I really haven't a clue what its about so I asked to get a better understanding... its called askmehelpdesk for a reason

If I wanted to say anything about it I would but I was raised better than that.

If you don't want to answer my question.. don't write on the thread!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 07:46 PM

Sad thing, none of our lightening people even tried to tell her what it was basically, what some of the uses are, they wanted to start talking about tanning and other issues.

I have to wonder, why so defensive, she asked a very valid question of a person who most likely never heard of it.

Does anyone actually want to answer her ?

Apr 22, 2010, 09:36 PM
    ... Not really. I just think people are kind of tired of answering the same question over and over. It has been discussed in many threads.I remember posing about this some weeks ago.
    Anyway,people do it for several reasons.
    Some because:
    *Complex
    *Beauty
    *Skin condition called vitiligo

Just be patient and check.You will find more elaborate answers.
    imgorgeous Posts: 385, Reputation: 14

Apr 23, 2010, 12:06 AM

Sohotitsscary - Hi so hot since I joined amhd I've noticed PEOPLE LIKE YOU asking about "skin lighting" threads.

The funny thing is I've no idea WHY YOU ARE HERE when you don't wish to lighten but show so much CURIOSITY about LIGHTENING ?

Can YOU EXPLAIN this practice to me?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by imgorgeous View Post
    Sohotitsscary - Hi so hot since i joined amhd ive noticed PEOPLE LIKE YOU asking about "skin lighting" threads.

The funny thing is ive no idea WHY YOU ARE HERE when you dont wish to lighten but show so much CURIOSITY about LIGHTENING ?

Can YOU EXPLAIN this practice to me?
    Why are you so defensive, that's what I'd like to know. It's just a question, no harm intended, just curiosity about something she didn't know about.

If you have any questions that I can answer then feel free to ask. That's what this site is for, asking questions and getting answers. If you don't want to answer the question then don't, but to come here with a huge chip on your shoulder, being rude, when no one on this thread has given any reason for it, that's not okay.

And what do you mean by "people like you"? I thought we were all human beings, or is that not how you feel?
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

Apr 23, 2010, 01:44 AM

I think like Violaename said, the answer has been given and I don't really believe it goes any deeper than that, for the majority. The comparison to things like tanning and dyeing ones hair is to give those who do not lighten something to maybe clarify why anybody does anything.

If this cannot be understood and further clarification is needed, I am more than happy to try and explain further if necessary.
    sara_uk Posts: 245, Reputation: 26

Apr 23, 2010, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Calm down.

I really think that the OP has no idea at all what skin lightening is, how it's done.

I don't think she's admonishing anyone for choosing to lighten, I think she really doesn't know what it is.

I have to admit, before I came to this site I didn't know that there were tons of products out there just for lightening skin. I had no idea that it was even possible. Yes, I live in a box. ;)

Just try to remember that everyone isn't out to get you or question why you're doing what you're doing. Some people really don't know about these products. This is your chance to educate.

Okay? :)
    I disagree totally, sorry the original poster is not asking about products to learn, they are asking why do we do it, which it is been answered already, nothing more is need after that.

Why do people tan? Because they can
    Why do people lighten? Because they can, end of
    sara_uk Posts: 245, Reputation: 26

Apr 23, 2010, 03:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Sad thing, none of our lightening people even tried to tell her what it was basicly, what some of the uses are, they wanted to start talking about tanning and other issues.

I have to wonder, why so defensive, she asked a very valid question of a person who most likely never heard of it.

Does anyone actually want to answer her ?
    Lol what answer are you looking for? The first two posts has answered the question perfectly. Is there a particular answer you looking for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to lighten my skin? [ 14 Answers ]

my skin has turn darker than usual coz of SUN....please suggest me a nice way to lighten my skin within 1 month...plzzzzzz:(

Has any one used neoprosone gel forte to lighten skin or as a skin lightener [ 70 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site but I wanted to know if any one knows about neoprosone gel forte. I have been using this cream for six months now I have had very good results, but I just wanted to know if any one has the same out come as me. I was using mono to depig my skin, but after 8 months of...

Lighten my skin [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I am really dark, like african american dark. And I would like to know any safe wasy that I can turn my dark skin to lighter skin. Not completely white but just a little lighter. And also how long will it take to see affects... HELP ME PLEASEE

How can I lighten my skin? [ 9 Answers ]

I am a light brown skinned African American young woman and I am interested in making my skin lighter. It is not because I'm not happy with my skin color, its just because I have dark spots that are hard to get rid of and I also have oily skin which can make me look darker than what I am. I was...

Skin Peels to lighten skin [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone I am new to AMHD and I had a few questions. Has anyone ever used a skin peel and gotten good results with lighter skin? They claim that your old skin cells are destroyed and new ones with less melanin and made, but I don't know how factual this is. I just ordered my skin peel from...

View more questions Search