Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 04:22 PM
    Many issues again.
    Computer problems. I had a program latch on that kept continusly popping up saying I have these viruses and I need to purchase it in order to remove it.

It went on and on. I had zonealarm and other programs running trying to fix it now I can not get a lot of the programs running. Even to get on the internet. I open Firefox and it asks me what program do I want to open it with it. Does that for everything.

Any downloads I do, if I want to open it, it will not open. Any system features and programs that I do have like system restore I can not use or open. Application not found,

I think that one of the problems is with win32 not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Joe, Oh running xp...
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 04:24 PM

I do realize that it is time for me to jump ship and get a purchase for a new computer. Can not really afford a new computer at this time. I had one computer for 10 years everything went all funky. Dead but I still have the hard drive. Lots of videos and pictures I could not retrieve yet. I am using an older school computer right now for the mean time, running fine until just recently.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 06:33 PM

Need to know the exact message you are getting, this will help in trying to narrow down what type of malware may be there.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 12:30 PM

c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe

APPLICATION NOT FOUND.

I can not get into anything, control panel, system restore or many other programs...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
    JH, if it's as bad as it sounds, rather than purchasing a new machine, backup and rebuild.
    Nuke the little so and so ;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper1976 View Post
    I open firefox and it asks me what program do I want to open it with it.
    I have that same issue on my laptop!
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    JH, if it's as bad as it sounds, rather than purchasing a new machine, backup and rebuild.
    Nuke the little so and so ;)
    Nuke it... man...

J9 have you come up on anyway to fix any of it?
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 02:02 PM

I am lucky I can still surf the net and lately even that has been unstable.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper1976 View Post
    nuke it... man...

J9 have you come up on anyways to fix any of it?
    Nope. But I am on my laptop now!

Yeah, I'm having the same problems you are.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Time to back up and rebuild, seriously.
    While you may fix this problem you may not get the underlying issue.

Occasionally rebuilding your machine is good anyway.
    A clean start makes things work better, also gives you the chance to make sure everything you need to fully updated.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Time to back up and rebuild, seriously.
    While you may fix this problem you may not get the underlying issue.

Occasionally rebuilding your machine is good anyway.
    A clean start makes things work better, also gives you the chance to make sure everything you need to fully updated.
    If I actually knew how to do that I would. ;)
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 02:29 PM

Curlyben I honestly need a new computer anyway. Too be honest, right now can not really purchase one.

Your right though might be temp to be able to fix it although I am not really having much luck, but the underlying problem still remains.

Sometimes technology can be a nuisance,
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 04:39 PM

I would urge you to try Microsoft's FREE scanner here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It seems to be a real nice piece of work. It will take about 8 hours to do a complete scan.

Rootkits can be a BIG problem. Also, removal tools sometimes are virus installers.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 05:47 PM

Whenever I download anything and try to run it or open this is the error message I get.

documents and settings/administrator/mydocument/downloads/msssefullinstall-x86fr-en-us-xp.exe

Application not found.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 10:00 PM

There seems to be some mistakes in that error. Save the file to "C:\foo.exe". A very short name with no spaces in the directory.
    Open the containing folder and see if it's there.

Try to run it. If unsuccessful boot in Safe mode with networking and try to run it.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2010, 11:32 PM

I have cured many computers with the same symptoms using some freeware tools. I still recommend a backup (and personally a rebuild) but you can do as you wish.

Put combofix on a thumb drive or CD. Login to your computer using safe mode. Copy combofix to your desktop and copy a shortcut to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

Reboot... let combofix run its thing.

When it has finished, you can usually access everything just fine. I still run a malewarebytes scan and an avg scan just to see if anything was missed.

Be careful with combofix. If you aren't careful you can damage your computer. Here is the official guide. Basically if you don't touch your computer, except for the okay buttons and such that pop up during the beginning of the removal, then you won't have any problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have issues [ 92 Answers ]

I'm starting to consider killing myself based on the outcome of an event (non trivial) that should occur by the end of the week. I've never so calmly and rationally thought about it like this before. That is what is worrying me now, I'm scared I will try to go through with it. I'm thinking it is...

I have issues [ 23 Answers ]

I don't really want to kill myself but sometimes I feel that I should. It may be the right thing to do because it is what other people would want and everyone would be better off without me. I am just a waste of space. Useless. Worthless. I can't even look at myself I am so disgusting....

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

CD Issues [ 2 Answers ]

OK, so I put a CD in and all it does is make a weird noise a couple times and not read the CD! I have Windows XP and it shows up that there's no CD in the Drive, what the hells going on?

View more questions Search