Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Apr 13, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Avoiding the Sun
    Is anyone having a hard time avoiding the sun as spring time continues and summer quickly approaches? Some of my classes are during the afternoon, and I find it terribly hard to avoid the sun at times. I want to carry an umbrella but I'm afraid I'll get odd looks. :( And I would wear sunscreen underneath my make up, but it tends to make it look caked on when I do that. :(
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

Apr 13, 2010, 10:05 AM

I try and avoid the sun like the plague. It is hard and YES like you I wish that walking with an umbrella was not such a big deal! People look at you like you must be mad!

I have literally crossed over the same street several times, searching for the shady section. I never leave my house without my sun visor hat but even that allows sun to get to the lower sides of my face, so sunblock is a must. I would never go anywhere without it and to be honest I wear sun protection all year round.

Apr 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Oh my goodness! You're just like me, I always cross the street. Or I'll literally speed walk to an area where I can walk in shade. I put sunblock on my body. But I like my skin to look flawless and with sunblock underneath my foundation it looks fake and caked on. :( So I just really try to avoid being outside too much. And Maharani, how have you been? It's been a long time since I've really frequented this board. But I'm back!

Apr 13, 2010, 10:20 AM

It's great to have you back! Clearly you re getting your results and don't want to know us anymore!! LOL

OMG, I speed walk too! Someone actually asked if I was OK because I was walking like a lunatic to get away from that darn SUN!! And if anyone stops me, I am like thinking I NEED to get away, this sun is killing me. Lord knows no one can keep up with me when it comes to walking and I don't need anyway holding me up, so I pray I don't bump into anyone who is out for a leisurely stroll.

Apr 13, 2010, 11:19 AM

Oh m God! That's the worst! When someone stops you on the street to talk! And you don't want to be rude. And it's like their facing a direction where they don't get hit by the rays of the sun and you're facing the opposite direction that they are, so you're the one getting all the sun. Ahhhhh! Hate that. And lol @ someone asking you if you're okay. HaHaHaHa.

And true. I guess I haven't been on in a while because I've been satisfied with my results. :( I'm sowwy. I miss you guys. But. Where is everyone? There are so many new people!
    caramelbound Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Hi everyone--i am new to the forum, but I have been 'lurking' for the last few weeks. I finally decided to join because for one, I enjoy reading the post and comments! Number two, I have learned a lot on this forum, and number three, I am on my own skin lightening journey--and it is nice to know there are people out there that know what I am going through and are trying to achieve the same things! As far as avoiding the sun, I was cracking up at the two of you! I know how you guys feel but I do not play around, since I have started this regimen (two weeks now) I refuse to let the sun do me in! I use 90 and 100 spf sunscreen on my face and body- I NEVER walk out the house in the sun without something on my arms (sleeves), I have a big floppy hat (it's cute though) that I wear anytime I am outside and the sun's out, and yes--I will carry my umbrella like 'WHAT' if I don't want to mess up my hair with my floppy hat. When I go to lunch with my co-workers, I am not playing with them! Lol, they take forever to get to the restaurant door, but I speedwalk and let them know I will meet them inside! I tell them it's too hot for all that and that my skin is sensitive! Lol!

Jul 16, 2010, 08:19 AM

Hey Caramelbound,

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you have your sun protection completely sorted!! I am always happy when I hear that there are more members to this "sun dodging" club! I know it takes real dedication and most people just don't understand and think "what a freak". But I guess like you, they soon get used to our little ways. I think what makes it harder is that people always assume that people of colour should automatically love the sun. I actually have very sun sensitive skin and have burned in the past, even though it was not a particularly hot or sunny day AND I had sun protection on. My Mum is the same. So I cannot afford to joke about when out and about. Haven't managed to be brave enough to put up an umbrella yet. London is already full of people who just love to stare. I would be just too paranoid! Glad to hear it has not been an issue for you

So what regime are you doing ?
    caramelbound Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I love coming on this site, I feel, lol, understood.. Well, yes you are right, it does take dedication--both time and money. I would hate to see it go to waste for one afternoon unprotected and uncovered in the hot sun.. I know what you mean about burning easily, I am also the same way. I am in NC, I have never been to London--lol, but if someone's life is that uninteresting that they feel the need to stare and gawk, I say put on a show! Lol! Walk around like you are fabulous and setting a new trend, lol, that's what I do. Now let me see if I end up seeing somewhat else walking around with an umbrella or sun hat! I go out on a limb and advise the naysayers that they too need to protect their skin. Just because you are black doesn't mean you can't get wrinkles, lol!

As for my regimen, I ordered the 55H+ Glycerine and the strong lotion... but I have been mostly using the glycerine on my body and face. I exfoliate every night in the shower with the st ives that browndeceit suggested and I let the glycerine sit on for a few hours each time, as she does.
    As for results, I see a little something, but it only seems like a brightening, and I am not sure if that's mostly because I STAY OUT OF THE SUN, lol! I also alternate each night between glycerine and plain lemon juice. I want to try something a little stronger or add something additional, but I am afraid to mess up my skin with anything crazy. I am Gabriel Union complexion and I would like to get a Tearra Marie or a lighter caramel brown complexion. I am not trying to be red or light light yellow because I don't think that would fit me... I would be happy with light brown/caramel!
    MySunshine Posts: 90, Reputation: 15

Jul 16, 2010, 07:56 PM

I have been avoiding the sun for more than a year and it is difficult but it can be done. If I go out I always wear a long sleeved cardigan while driving to stop tanning while driving. Also, I wear a hat if I have to be outdoors but usually I only go out during sunset anyway.

Jul 17, 2010, 09:47 AM
    Caremelbound,

There is a part of me that would love to play it up when people stare, but I have never really liked being in the limelight in general. Fortunately when it has been very hot, I have managed not to have to go out in it, so far. Maybe in the future, if this is not an option then I could try and pluck up the courage and say "who gives a ****"

Well I look forward to hearing your experience with this regime. BrownDeceit has indeed had lovely results using it. As it has only been 2 weeks, then it is too early to be seeing anything dramatic and if you did, I would be more worried. Please do keep us updated and Best of luck!

Jul 17, 2010, 10:00 AM

Hi MySunshine,

You are lucky that you are able to have control over the time of day that you go out. Are you in a particularly warm climate then ? And do you find that people are understanding of your sun avoidance. I sometimes think that it has made me a bit anti social, as I avoid certain activities and trips where I know that I will have to endure prolonged sun exposure. I always think that there is only so much that sun block, hats and clothing can do. And I would also feel a bit controlling encouraging others to join me in the shade.
    n0username Posts: 44, Reputation: 5

Jul 19, 2010, 09:48 AM
    I walk around with my special UV brella, frankly I don't care who stares. I often see other people walking with theirs. You have to realize though, that even with an umbrella, you are still getting UV rays from the pavement while walking. So sunblock is a must as well. I too go out of my way to avoid the sun. Not only to keep my skin from tanning, but to prevent wrinkles. I feel miserable in any kind of heat, so for me, it's a must. Even a bit of sun for just 5 minutes can take away months of progress and then you have to start over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aquarius sun, moon in virgo + sun in scorpio, moon in sagittarius [ 11 Answers ]

The title says it all, I'm curious what the relationship between myself, an female aquarius sun with my moon in virgo and someone I'm seeing who's sun is in scoprio and his moon is in sagittarius. We both are right in the middle of our sun signs, meaning neither of us are on the cusp of...

Why is he avoiding me [ 2 Answers ]

Well me and my current boyfriend have been going out for about a month. We still don't talk much. He said he really does like me but it seems like every time he wants to tell me something he tells my friends to tell me about it so they know about it before I even do. It gets really annoying. But...

How many sun spots are on sun today? [ 2 Answers ]

Today's number of sun spots?

View more questions Search