Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:38 PM
    Should I send something?
    One of my co-workers mothers passed away a few days ago. I actually work with her and her husband. They're more than just co-workers, closer to friends. I won't be attending the funeral and I have called and talked with my friend but I was thinking about sending her something. I don't really know what would be appropriate, or if its even appropriate to send anything. I was thinking a nice card and maybe flowers (a pretty orchid?) and some home made brownies (chocolate always seems to make things better, I figure her kids will enjoy them for sure). What do you guys think?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 01:23 AM
    An orchid, brownies and a card sound perfect to me.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 02:11 AM

You've got this one figured out already. If the orchid is a single bloom, make sure it's potted. A card and brownies to go with is inspired.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks guys! :) sometimes when I see other people buying flowers for funerals or someone who lost someone they'll avoid the brighter colors saying "well, someone just died..." I always feel like that's the best time to bring in something cheerful, to make people feel better. What are your thoughts? Would a brightly colored orchid be bad? Sometimes I see these really beautiful yellow and pink ones.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    thanks guys! :) sometimes when i see other people buying flowers for funerals or someone who lost someone they'll avoid the brighter colors saying "well, someone just died..." i always feel like that's the best time to bring in something cheerful, to make people feel better. what are your thoughts? would a brightly colored orchid be bad? sometimes i see these really beautiful yellow and pink ones.
    Definitely bright colors. Especially a live orchid. Make them smile two weeks from now.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 03:56 PM

You all have great ideas. Defiantly good idea to have something colourful and with brownies and a nice card for sure.

The thing is some people do not accept anything or they do but usually makes announcements on what they would like.

I have seen announcements actually state not to bring flowers but that is obviously out of the norm. They took donations for a special cause...

Anyway, just mentioning that.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the input joe (and everyone else again). So far they haven't made any sort of announcements. We've got a little collection at work going to help them with the funeral costs. I made the brownies today, they look very yummy :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:52 AM
    Hi, justcurious55!

It's best to be taking advantage of the opportunities that we have, while we have them...

I remember that my mother used to dress in the most vivid colors for visitations and funerals.

Cards, flowers, food - all are appropriate. Even if you were to do something more than once!

Again, it's best to be taking advantage of the opportunities while we have them...

To show a loving heart will always be welcome!

Thanks!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2010, 07:32 AM

I think your ideas are lovely, too. I will never forget the thoughtfulness of a close friend of my mother who brought sandwiches and cookies and set them up in the family lounge at the funeral parlor during my grandmother's wake. It meant a lot to us to be able to get a bite to eat without leaving, as our neighbors, friends and extended family were constantly coming and we did not want to miss anyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I send my adult son a birthday gift when he usually doesn't send me one? [ 13 Answers ]

My son will be 26 in March. He has always been a good kid and is usually very thoughtful. The one thing that bothers me terribly is that he doesn't send me a birthday gift or card. He always remembers to call. He also doesn't send any gift/card to his dad. Sometimes, he willl remember us on...

Should I send it? [ 61 Answers ]

Threads merged I have been no contact for a month in a half. She just texted me happy birthday. Should I reply. This is the first time in a month that I have heard anything from her. I know all she is trying to say is happy birthday and there is no hidden message. Should I say thank you or just...

When to send a W9 [ 4 Answers ]

It is not clear to me when I have to require a W-9. It seems clear when I use services preformed by an individual or business, but do I have to require one for every single payee? Eg. Phone service (ej: Bellsouth) Freight (Fedex) Supplier of Goods purchased for resale Good consumed (eg...

Can't send from OE [ 1 Answers ]

Can't sen email through outlook express said my number are in valid

View more questions Search