Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anetta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 07:12 AM
    Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached
    Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached to plastic pipe under the house, or does the pipe have to be in the ground ?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 07:52 AM

Absolutely NOT!

Only in very rare instances can a pipe be used as an equipment ground source.

The earth has nothing to do with equipment grounding either. So a ground rod or pipe is a useless source of ground as far as this goes.
    The earth serves a completely different purpose.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 07:53 AM

Does this pipe ever make an unbroken connection back to your main without any plastic interrupting the run?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Does this pipe ever make an unbroken connection back to your main without any plastic interrupting the run?
    The ONLY place a pipe can be used to make an equipment ground connection is within the first 5' of where it enters the house and IF the pipe is being used as a grounding electrode, with a proper connection to the main panel.
    The key is the proper connection to the main panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

Diy install ground wire for 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved to the dominican republic... my 2nd floor apartment has your typical 3 prong outlets... but no ground!(?). I hear this is normal down here. The apartment is make of cement blocks. Usually they build the walls then break them to install the wiring before cementing it flat. ...

250v outlet ground wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a house built in 1948. When I attempted to install my dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. A helpful post said that I could convert this outlet to 3 prong 240v. I have looked a little closer in the outlet and noticed there are two hots (red and black...

Galvanized pipe to either Copper/CPVC pipe [ 14 Answers ]

I had a leak in my cold water feed which happens to be galvanized pipe. It was between 2 floors and I cut out the affected section. I am going to replace the cut out section with either copper or CPVC. But how does one connect unthreaded galvanized pipe to the after mentioned pipes? I don't know if...

Connecting ground to 220v 3-wire outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to connect my bandsaw to an old-style 3-wire 220v dryer outlet (2 hot wires, 1 neutral). My bandsaw has no neutral wire. Do I connect the ground from the machine to the neutral socket?

View more questions Search