Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CeciliaNoelle Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
    I think I may be ruining my relationship
    I've been with my boyfriend for close to a year and a half, and I am still crazy in love with him. But lately, me and my boyfriend have been getting into arguments about a seemigly bad habit I have. More lately than not, we have both noticed that I have a habit of ruining perfectly good days. You know, the days that you spend all day together full of laughs, kisses and hugs; a day that you would never forget. Well, the day goes perfect, but once we get home, its almost inevitable that I will say something that will cause a fight or argument. Its kind of become a running joke between me and him but honestly, I don't know how or why I do this. I hate fighting with him because it just kills me. A fight just takes everything out of me and by the time I have nothing left, its too late to apologize and work it out.
    I want to stop it but I don't know how. I don't know how to filter what I say before I say it.
    Can anyone help me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 05:20 PM

Can you work out a signal system with your boyfriend? He may recognize the beginning of a fight more than you do. Have a secret sign or word or even create a sign he can hold up to alert you to the coming downhill slide.

I hate to put the responsibility on him, but he, like I said, might recognize the signs better than you do. And both of you are part of the solution. How does this sound to you?
    CeciliaNoelle Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 05:27 PM

Thank you wondergirl. That sounds like a good solution.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 05:31 PM

This literally does sound (and not to be rude) like a personal problem. You need to work out these differences with yourself. Do some soul searching. Figure out what triggers you to want to pick a fight with him. Is it something he does? Is it something he doesn't do? Is it something petty that you need to learn to get over? Is it just you? Or is it him causing you to be this way?

There is always a reason why a fight starts.. You just need to figure out what triggers you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaNoelle View Post
    thank you wondergirl. that sounds like a good solution.
    Remember, YOU have to accept his warning signal. If I were you, I'd make it sort of funny or cute or inoffensive, so you can use it even in public or with friends (and no one has to be the wiser).

When my grandpa had crumbs around his mouth, my grandma would say "lunch" and he would know to wipe his lips. My husband and I have several signals like that for appearance as well as behavior. They work very well as long as both parties are invested in them.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 10:05 PM
    I think WG's suggestion is great, but, and it's a big but.

You need also to be doing some serious thinking about the reasons you want to fight when you've just had a lovely day with your BF.

What is at the core of this desire to pick a fight?

Is there some deeper dissatisfaction that you're not expressing? Is there something that's annoying you? Is there something that you want which you're not getting?

Try to observe yourself when you're out having a nice time with your BF and notice any odd feelings or reactions you're having, then when you get home, again notice what it is that triggers these feelings of anger directed at your BF.

Be conscious and observe yourself rather then responding unconsciously to whatever is eating away at you. There is a reason for your behavior - and you are the only one that knows what it is.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 12:17 PM

Do you think you may have a problem letting go of a good time, and get grouchy at the end of that good experience?

I tend to never want to let the good times end myself, and it annoys the heck out of my wife, who would rather call it a day, and go to sleep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dad is ruining our relationship [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend and I have been together for 9 years (10 on March 2010). We have two beautiful children together. We are not married because he is not divorce "OFFICIAL". We have tried to file his divorce twice (two different County's) but to no avail. From time to time he would tell me he...

My insecurities ruining my relationship? [ 8 Answers ]

I've been dating this great guy for five months now, and things are going great. We always do things together and we do love each other now already. The thing is, I met him over the summer, and we both are attending college right now. I'm 19, he's 22. The problem is, we attend two different...

Dreaming Every Night About Ex, Ruining My Relationship [ 4 Answers ]

Almost every night I have been having dreams about an ex-boyfriend of mine. I met him when I was 12 and dated him only in middle school and the beginning of high school. He was also my next door neighbor. I moved away my junior year of high school and I am 20 now and almost a junior in college. I...

Dad's girlfriend ruining my relationship with him. [ 1 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced for as long as I can remember. I believe I was six at the time, in fact. Both of my parents have new partners. My mother has a boyfriend, who I get on really well with. They have been together four years and he moved in a year ago. It is nice as with my mum, her...

My insecurities are ruining my relationship [ 7 Answers ]

I'm dating a wonderful man and we have been together almost a year. The problem is that I get upset about stupid little things. My feelings get hurt easily and I in turn act pouty and differently towards my boyfriend. This eventually turns into a fight. I've jeopardized his trust a number of...

View more questions Search