Ask
    iwant2knowmore Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Apr 11, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Can snakes walk ?
    Can snakes walk?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 08:18 AM

Only those with legs ( oh wait, they don't have legs)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 11:53 AM

No, snakes cannot walk. They do not have legs to walk with. They move by the muscles in their bodies on the ground. Its really neat looking if you get a close up!
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    No, snakes cannot walk. They do not have legs to walk with. They move by the muscles in their bodies on the ground. Its really neat looking if you get a close up!
    Read in Genesis why a snake has no legs.. :confused:
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Read in Genesis why a snake has no legs..:confused:
    Yea... I really don't follow that... I'm too much of a realist!
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
    yea... I really dont follow that... I'm too much of a realist!
    We'll agree to disagree.. Hugs:)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 11, 2010, 12:44 PM

Snakes slither. It's part of why so many people are creeped out by them. I happen to think they're beautiful and fascinating.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    snakes slither. it's part of why so many people are creeped out by them. i happen to think they're beautiful and fascinating.
    Heath... I think they look evil... especially the giant ones.:eek:
    Experts

Apr 11, 2010, 01:02 PM

That's probably the christian upbringing.

Early christians vilified the snake as a way to undermine the pagan religions in the area. Most pagan religions in europe at the time, had at least one deity who's sacred animal was the snake. It was an animal reconnected with rebirth and life.

In fact, the entire thing about st. patrick casting the snakes out of ireland had nothing to do with real snakes. There have never been snakes native to ireland. He really went there to convert and 'cast out' the pagans.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 01:17 PM
    that's probably the christian upbringing.

early christians vilified the snake as a way to undermine the pagan religions in the area. most pagan religions in europe at the time, had at least one deity who's sacred animal was the snake. it was an animal reconnected with rebirth and life.

in fact, the entire thing about st. patrick casting the snakes out of ireland had nothing to do with real snakes. there have never been snakes native to ireland. he really went there to convert and 'cast out' the pagans.
    I don't know anything about that except ,yes I am a Christian.. I was raised in a Christian home. Sometimes I don't do everything I should as a child of God, but nevertheless I know I am his child. As far as knowing anything about pagan religions I don't .I don't read about them.

You are very educated and I respect that. You know more now at your age intellectually and educational wise than I'll ever know... I just know I don't like snakes.. I do love Edith and the kitties... :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    We'll agree to disagree ..Hugs:)
    Sounds good to me! :D
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 05:18 PM
    Sounds good to me! :D
    Okay.. Lucky... :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 05:19 PM
    snakes slither. it's part of why so many people are creeped out by them. i happen to think they're beautiful and fascinating.
    Some snakes really are beautiful! I just wouldn't ever own one...

I watched a cool program a couple weeks ago too! It was how the pythons were taking over FL.

I like the emerald green tree snakes. They're pretty cool looking.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 05:32 PM
    Some snakes really are beautiful! I just wouldnt ever own one...

I watched a cool program a couple weeks ago too! It was how the pythons were taking over FL.

I like the emerald green tree snakes. They're pretty cool lookin.

I can't even stand to see them. There is one program on TV.. National Geographic where they show the venomous snakes. The one who spits the venom in your eyes and the two step.. :eek:
    Experts

Apr 11, 2010, 06:41 PM

Found a grass snake one year at camp. It was about 4-6 inches long and didn't even have teeth yet. It lunged at one of the girls I was with. She screamed like a little girl and jumped backwards so fast she ended up falling and rolling down the hill. I didn't stop laughing for a very long time.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 06:53 PM
    found a grass snake one year at camp. it was about 4-6 inches long and didn't even have teeth yet. it lunged at one of the girls i was with. she screamed like a little girl and jumped backwards so fast she ended up falling and rolling down the hill. i didn't stop laughing for a very long time.
    That is funny! I would have laughed too. We lived in the country and my Dad taught us the difference in venomous snakes and the ones who weren't. He ran upon a little den of copperhead babies. They looked like worms. My brother started to pick one up and Dad said they were as venomous as the mother or father snake. I didn't stick around to see! I do watch some of the snakes on National Geographic.:eek:
    Experts

Apr 11, 2010, 06:55 PM

I got grounded once for 2 months for taking two steps toward my mother while holding a snake.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
    i got grounded once for 2 months for taking two steps toward my mother while holding a snake.
    OMG... You didn't... I would faint... Your really going to hate this.. I have a phobia about worms.. the fuzzy ones.. caterpillers terrify me and those wooly worms.. the brown ones. I don't know why I have that phobia but
    My grandkids let them crawl up their arms and on their face. I try not to show my fear but I come into the house... :confused:
    Experts

Apr 11, 2010, 07:05 PM

I love caterpillars, and snakes, and lizards, and frogs.

We have managed to hi-jack a thread. Then again, it did only need one word as a response.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 07:12 PM
    i love caterpillers, and snakes, and lizards, and frogs.

we have managed to hi-jack a thread. then again, it did only need one word as a response.
    True! But it is an interesting conversation!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Snakes [ 2 Answers ]

:o I have always wondered when snakes in my area come out of hybernation. I have many leaves to clean up & have been scared by lizards & snakes enough! I live in Bangor, Pa. Can someone answer my question? Thank you for your time with this request! Wendy ;D ;D ;D ;D

What does it mean when you dream about snakes [ 4 Answers ]

I have been dreaming of snakes and my boyfriend as well. Idont know what it means. My boyfriends dreams are of them biting him on his legs and mine are of them chasing me.

Snakes in the attic [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Missouri and it is now hot. My roof in the day goes up to 120 degrees f and takes time to cool down at night. Is it possible for snakes or any other rodents to live in my attic at this temperature. I hear something moving around but cannot find out what it is. What is a good snake poison?

Snakes [ 4 Answers ]

What type of snakes would you find in the Jungles in South America? Which ones wrap themselves around and suffocate their prey?

Snakes [ 5 Answers ]

We live on 10 acres and are currently living in a camper trailer while we renovate our home. We have garter snakes and I am terrified of them, so much so that I won't leave the camper during the day unless absolutely necessary. (I know that they are harmless and eat mice etc. etc. but suppose...

View more questions Search