Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickd70 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 05:56 PM
    Shared neutral
    I believe I have a shared neutral. I was installing a new ceiling fan. I checked the circuit with a multimeter and it read 54 volts when the switch is off. I also checked the outlet that is controlled by a different switch, same result. Actually the whole house is like that. I then removed all the neutral wires in the main panel except for one breaker. Same problem. I tried this on other breakers too. Same result.

With one breaker 'hot' and the only neutral tied into the circuit, I started removing some of the neutral wires in the outlets and switch boxes. Same result. This house has about 70 outlets and 85 recessed lights and fixtures. Is there a method to isolate the problem? I even unplugged all the appliances.

Any suggestions would be great.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2010, 06:19 PM
    You removed all the neutral wires in tha panel? Why in the world would you do that?
    Shared neutrals is not all that uncommon. If you are trying to figure out which circuit is the culprit, turn offf breakers, not disconnect neutrals. Count your circuits (120V) and count the number of neutral wires. I'll assume you have wires in conduit, not cable?
    And exactly what problem is it that you have?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 07:04 PM

I agree with MB. Removing the neutrals was a VERY poor decision. There was absolutely NO reason to do this.

Apr 11, 2010, 09:57 AM

At the time I didn't know what to do. I promise it won't happen again. I did turn off all the breakers first, except for one. The problem still existed. That's when I decided to remove all the neutrals trying to isolate the problem. The problem is throughout the house where an outlet and ceiling fan is controlled by a switch, a total of nine places. How do I go about and tackle this problem? I notice that I have Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters on all the circuits I'm having problems. Can it be a bad circuit breaker?

Apr 11, 2010, 10:26 AM

To reinstate my first question, I have between 45 - 54 volts on an outlet when the switch is 'off'. I also have the same voltage going to my ceiling fan box when the switch is in the'off' position. I measured across the neutral wire and the black wire.

Apr 11, 2010, 12:53 PM

I did more testing.

I found something interesting and maybe useful. My ceiling fan box has two hot wires controlled by two separate switches and one neutral wire. When both switches are 'off', the voltage reads '0'. When both switches are 'ON', voltage reads 120V between the hot and neutral wires. BUT when one switch is 'off' and the other is'ON', the voltage at the ceiling fan box reads 54 volts on one of the hot wires and 120VAC on the other hot wire. I then remove the red wire (see diagram below) on the switch feeding the ceiling fan box. Now when I turn 'on' switch #1, it reads 120VAC, when it is 'off' I read 0 volts. I thought I solved the problem. I then went to all the bedrooms where the outlet is controlled by a wall switch, still reads 54 volts when the switch is off. I hope this info helps.
    Attached Images

stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 11, 2010, 06:37 PM

Have you removed the ceiling fan connections during this test? Or, is there still a fixture installed?

Apr 11, 2010, 06:43 PM

There's no fixture, just a box. I'm reading about 'phantom voltage'. I may be seeing this. I am using a Fluke DMM which has a very high impedance that may not drain the voltage that's being induced by other conductors.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 11, 2010, 06:57 PM

Connect a light bulb to the circuit in question - if you have a spare fixture of sorts, should put enough load on the circuit to answer that. If there is any substantial current, it will also glow somewhat.

Apr 11, 2010, 08:06 PM

I will do that. I never experienced phantom voltage at my old house. I moved in to this house last year. The house is only 4 years old.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:08 PM
    Buy a Wiggy

Apr 11, 2010, 10:18 PM

I will. Tks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral [ 21 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old home. I am doing some remodeling and found that I have 2 separate circuits sharing the same neutral. I hadn't seen this before and I am worried about it. Is this in itself a problem? Also, the neutral is hot where I am remodeling but not at the breaker box. Do I have a...

Shared, common neutral [ 1 Answers ]

In residential, how many circuits can share a neutral Thanks

Three phase shared neutral [ 1 Answers ]

If at the intake position from the utility company it is three phase, and the load is, say 50amps per phase. Would the return shared neutral take that full load of 150 amps? Or is there a reason why it would be lower because shared neutral conductor size is always the same as phase conductors. ...

Shared neutral heating [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir I have several shared neutral circuits in my home. I am having a problem with the house outlets .I am using arc fault cicuit breakers and they get quite warm, I'd say about 95 degrees. Every week or so the breaker trips for no apparent reason. What I mean is no plugging in of extra...

Shared neutral on 14/3 with tandem breaker [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all! I am a new member and learning a lot from this great forum. I have a question about shared neutrals, 14/3 wire, and tandem breakers. I have seen several posts about shared neutrals, and want to make sure my home wiring is safe. My home is about 7 years old, and I have 8 circuits...

View more questions Search