Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kallumama Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 03:07 PM
    Filing status - MFJ or not?
    Hi,

I needed some help in figuring out if I can still file MFJ for last year or take an exemption for my daughter.

I filed a married filing joint return in 2008 and need to figure out my situation for 2009:

My wife was working in US till Apr 2009 and quit and has been in India since. We had a baby in oct 2009 - she is a Indian citizen, lives with my wife in India and has never been to US.

I have been continuously employed with a software company in US on H1B visa though I was 'unofficially' working from India / on vacation for about 5-6 months in 2009.

After my research, it seems I can still file a MFJ. Is that right?

Also, can I consider my daughter as a dependent and take an exemption for her?

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Update:

I read the pub 519. It seems both me and wife meet the substantial presence test and can be considered resident aliens. So, I guess we can file MFJ.

What about our daughter? Can I still take an exemption for her?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Apr 11, 2010, 09:26 AM

No, you may not. She is neither citizen or resident in the US as is required to be considered a dependent.

She was born in India; you are, neither of you (husband and wife), citizens or lawful permanent residents of the US..

Apr 11, 2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks Five Rings. That is what I thought.

Just curious, if I could take exemption for her if I was a us citizen?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Apr 12, 2010, 04:10 AM

Yes because she would then be a citizen by virtue of your citizenship.
    You would have to get her a "Certificate of Overseas Birth" at your consulate and she would receive a social security number at that time.

Apr 12, 2010, 09:48 AM

That seems unfair. I am paying full taxes like a citizen but not getting equivalent treatment.

Thanks Five Rings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Status- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to determine my filing status ( Non Resident Alien / Resident Alien) for income earned during calendar year 2007 and to file taxes for the same now. Arrived in US - Aug 2003 on F1 Changed to H1 B - Sep 2005 till date I need to know when I file for taxes in 2008...

What is my filing status? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a CT resident who works in NY. My Spouse Works in Ct. We file a joint tax return for Federal taxes. How should we file for CT State taxes?

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa. I have the following questions: 1. Am I dual status...

Filing status from F1 to H1. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I worked from January 15 2006 till December 16 2006 on my OPT and I changed my status to H1 from 18 December 2006 onwards. I wanted to know when I file in Tax return, which forms shall I use and under which status I file my tax return.

View more questions Search