Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Full screen real time two way video communication on the web
    Hello:

I'm used to Yahoo messenger where you have to type and watch a small video screen that ISN'T in real time.

In a reality show that I saw, the people were using what looked like the stuff I'm talking about. Is it happening these days, and how can I get it?

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 01:28 PM

Something they didn't tell you is that for full screen video it requires a good connection between the 2 points as well as the capacity to broadcast at that resolution. There are many programs to choose from. But first you need to decide if you AND the person your talking to has the capacity to run that type of connection. Otherwise you end up with a blotchy mess.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 01:34 PM

What about Skype? A friend says her office uses it to teleconference with other offices throughout the U.S. with real-time video and audio -- and Who Wants To Be a Millionaire uses it to connect in real time with the contestant's expert resources.

I used Skype to talk real-time (like the telephone) with a guy in England. We could have done video too, if I'd had a camera on my computer.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2010, 01:49 PM

I've used skype too. It lagged when I tried to multitask- I tried to come on amhd while my boyfriend and I were video chatting. As long as I only had skype running it was fine. My bf's computer didn't lag at all, I think his laptop is better than mine.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Yep, Skype here as well.
    Us it for IT conferencing, but for decent full screen you need a fast connection and good camera.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    but for decent full screen you need a fast connection and good camera.
    Hello again, ben:

So, what's fast? I have broadband. I think most people do, these days. I download close to 7 Mbps and upload at 0.41.

excon
    BossMan

Apr 10, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Ex, yep that should be all right, shame the up isn't better though.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 02:57 PM

Broadband will help a lot. Also it depends on what compression is being used and how powerful both computers are. You need to check native resolution on both sides. Full screen used to be considered 640 x 480. But on today's machines that's really only about half the current resolution.
    BossMan

Apr 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Broadband will help alot. Also it depends on what compression is being used and how powerful both computers are. You need to check native resolution on both sides. Full screen used to be considered 640 x 480. But on todays machines thats really only about half the current resolution.
    Or in my case a thumbnail ;)
    I run at a rather larger 1920 x 1200!
    Who needs HD ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maximize a web page every time I open. I use Yahoo as my primary web page. [ 1 Answers ]

When I now open Yahoo as my primary IE web page it is always minimized. Have tried a 3 suggestions on this site but to no avail. Thanks in advance! floater74

What contitues full time to get full time benefits? [ 1 Answers ]

My son works on average over 40 hours a week.He works in a hospital in NJ. He does receive overetime when he works over 40 Hours. However he is considered a part time employee and they will not give him a full time listed position even though most of the time he works 40 hours or more. There fore...

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

Web based communication [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a way for two people to have instant communication over the internet without installing any software. MSN2Go or something similar would be ideal but unfortunately we are prohibited from using IM by our sysadmin. A solution to this problem would be an inhouse web-based IM/chat...

View more questions Search