Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candiiii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 10:41 AM
    Will I be taxed differently?
    I am a permanent resident and have been for 27 years. Have a british passport am a british citizen. If my husband dies before me am I taxed any differently from an american citizen for the fact of being beneficiary to his life insurance policy, his leaving me the house, etc? Should I change to american citizen now for these reasons or is there no change? Also what about his retirement and social security is that treated differently too if I don't change?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Apr 11, 2010, 09:32 AM

Wouldn't it be a good idea to visit with a competent tax professional to discuss these estate issues since several hundreds of thousands of dollars are involved?

Is your husband a US citizen?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2010, 11:04 AM
    I agree with Five Rings.

Your circumstance is complex enough to justify consulting with a competent tax professional and estate planner to cover all angles of your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file my taxes with part non taxed and part taxed per diem [ 1 Answers ]

My job extended past the 12 month period. My per diem was non taxable for 4 months of 2008 and taxable for the remaining 8 months. I am still on this project with perdiem being taxed and should complete assignment end of April 2009. How do I file my taxes. I usually use the government allowed rate...

Why is my best friend treating my so differently? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been thinking up every reason I can for my best friend's rapid change in behaviour, but nothing I can think convinces me and I found this website and thought some kind people could share their views :) I met this girl, Jenny about 18 months ago now and we hit it off straight away as...

Does Mac use RAM differently than PC? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to buy a laptop for my daughter for college. She wants a MAC. Fine. But in trying to decide what to buy, I'm lost. I'm used to PC's and Windows based laptops where the more RAM and the bigger the hard drive, the better. Throw in a great processor and you've got a great PC or laptop. ...

Charged stated differently [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor's relative was charged with shoplifting a few years back. He was not arrested. Just to appear in court. He paid a $144.00 fine. For a misdemeanor charge. He notice in the law enforcement database the charge is defrauding An innkeeper. With a different statues number than...

View more questions Search