Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    killianmarx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 12:21 PM
    Target Dimensions Need Help!
    Iam a newbie to target shooting and was wondering if someone could please help me out in regards to target dimensions for open and aperature sights.
    I make my own targets but need to know what the dimensions for the "Black" on a standard 10 ring target at ranges of 100yards, 200yards, 300yards etc.

Dec 4, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Man I sure wish I could answer my own question;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2006, 07:48 PM
    I am sorry there are some things that people on here may not know.

I shoot the police combat course and we use the outline of people for scoring.

There are several good online shooting companies, or even a trip to your local range should provide that info.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 4, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by killianmarx
    Iam a newbie to target shooting and was wondering if someone could please help me out in regards to target dimensions for open and aperature sights.
    I make my own targets but need to know what the dimensions for the "Black" on a standard 10 ring target at ranges of 100yards, 200yards, 300yards etc.
    It all depends on what caliber you are shooting, a .22, 223, or .308 or maybe you are shooting a long action. However, they each have their own specific 10-ring size.

So, to give an accurate answer, we would need the caliber.

Dec 5, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Thanks to both FR_chuck and J_9 for replying to my question.

I recently inherited my fathers collection of target rifles whose calibers range from- .22 LR M 61 Schultz & Larsen, 5.56mm SIG 550, 7.5mm model 1931 Schmidt & Rubin, 7.62mm sportco, etc.
    (I am more intersested in target diameter (black) for the 223 and 308)

All rifles are equipped with Swiss diopter sights with front sights interchangeable with post and peep etc. No rifles are equipped with any form of scope.

Hope this helps J_9, Thanks again guys
    Herb.
    Jeff82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Hey Killianmarx, Black bullseyes are usually set to be just as wide or slightly wider than the front sight post at the distance you'll be shooting or, if using an aperture front, then to be small enough that you would have a white ring around the black to be able to center it (the bull). This is kind of 'reverse engineering' though. Most bullseye sizes are already determined and then folks will adjust or change sights to the targets that will be used.

Another factor would be your purpose for shooting. If you're informally target shooting ("plinking") then use what I wrote in the first paragraph as a starting point. Try paper plates with cans of various diameters as a stencil and a fat Sharpie to fill them in. Use spray on adhesive, stapler, or heavy duty paper clips to affix to backer. If you're getting into an organized sport then you'll need to find out what they're using and adapt to it.

When target (match) shooting at differing distances the bullseyes are larger the farther out you go so as to keep your "sight picture" the same as you move farther out. The scoring rings will change to to increase or decrease the difficulty (one may have the "7" at the edge of the black whereas another target will have the "9" at the edge, etc.). All depends on the sport you're shooting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80's dog cartoon movie involving portals to other dimensions [ 11 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP!! I've been brain dead trying to get the name of the movie. I remember the beginning of the movie where two dogs who can talk are trapped in this demension in a snow storm and a snow creature is after them. They then sense either them or the key that there is a portal door and...

Tyre Track Dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

What tyre track dimensions can be measured at a crime scene and how could this help identify the responsible vehicle\?

Area, perimiter, dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

A rectangular room has an area of 99 square feet and a perimeter of 45 ft. What are the dimensions of the room?

Target audience [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know about monitoring a manuscript for its relevance to the target audience? I can't find anything about it!

Dow Target 10 Portfolio [ 0 Answers ]

I want to buy the Dow Target 10 Portfolo Trust but when I looked at the sales charges, I decided to pass. Is there anyway I can purchase such a Trust with lesser sale charges? gatnus

View more questions Search