Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cleaningman23 Posts: 255, Reputation: 5

Apr 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
    Another Commercial Cleaning Job for me
    Hi guys how have you been,
    I have yet another cleaning job offered to me this past week.
    This is a different type of job though. It is a brand new retail store being built in my area and it is totaled for 112,000 SQ FT . From what I was told on the phone.. they want us to clean everything besides the floors... Everything as walls.. lamp fixtures.. bathrooms... coutners etc... I have a appt on Monday to take a look at the place.. Do you have any idea what I should charge for this job, since it is a bit different than "typical" janitorial jobs... or is there a different way?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 12:40 AM

HI cleaning, how is it going?

Tell me is this a construction clean up or an on going nightly service?

Stringer
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2010, 01:27 AM
    I'm here too, Cleaningman23!

Apr 10, 2010, 07:19 AM

Hi there guys! How have you been! It will be construction cleanup!
    All I know is he told me everything except the floors...
    Business Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 07:42 AM

I would handle this as any other construction clean up. Do your due diligence, determine exactly what has to be done, how much can be completed in one hour and extend that for your final one time price. Of course add all your costs and profit.

Looks like a nice job Cleaning. Is it a 'read 'um and weep' bid?

Stringer

Apr 10, 2010, 08:32 AM

I am going to get the best perspective when I go there on Monday.. and see what's going to be done.. I still have not landed a commercial contract and I am hoping this will be my first... whats read them and weep? Hehe I'm hoping it's a good one
    Business Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaningman23 View Post
    I am going to get the best perspective when i go there on monday.. and see whats going to be done.. i still have not landed a commercial contract and I am hoping this will be my first...whats read em and weep? hehe im hopin its a a good one

Well not really... it means that you will have no negotiation, the price you deliver is final.

Let me know more after you visit the site on Monday.

Remember:

Will there be large pieces of garbage to remove?

Will there be a construction dumpster to use if so?

What is the timeline for completion?

Is there high cleaning?

Will you need to rent a lift? Cost of this?

Etc...

Stringer
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    [/I][/B]

Well not really.... it means that you will have no negotiation, the price you deliver is final.

Let me know more after you visit the site on Monday.

Remember:

Will there be large pieces of garbage to remove?

Will there be a construction dumpster to use if so?

What is the timeline for completion?

Is there high cleaning?

Will you need to rent a lift? Cost of this?

Etc...

Stringer
    Yeah. A lot of factors to be considered...

I just made an estimate this morning to refinish kitchen cabinets. So many factors involved that I could only give them generalizations concerning the pricing.
    Business Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Yeah. A lot of factors to be considered...

I just made an estimate this morning to refinish kitchen cabinets. So many factors involved that I could only give them generalizations concerning the pricing.
    Occasionally I am asked for a verbal price or estimate, I never do this until I can do a qualified calculation of everything involved. Too many times over the years it has come back to bite me.

Congrats Clough on the opportunity.

Stringer
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2010, 09:39 AM
    I got the job! Just need to involve others who can do things like flooring and countertops.

With my barbershop chorus guys, I have a lot of resources...
    Business Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I got the job! Just need to involve others who can do things like flooring and countertops.

With my barbershop chorus guys, I have a lot of resources...
    THAT is terrific my friend... I am so happy for you. Go get 'um buddy!

Apr 12, 2010, 05:42 PM

Congrats on getting that job clough! Lets hope my luck is as good as yours hehe :)... Well so I went to the estimate today and was overwhelmed by the size of everything...

Here we go...

From what I am told...
    The cleaning team will need to wipe down everything and dust... from doors to sides of walls... We also have to clean the entrance glass.. (not that much) there is also NO high cleaning we have to do... There is a pharmacy.. that has glass We also have to clean... We do not have to do any floors.. but was told they need us to clean the glass on these freezer doors... I was told that the glass is sensitive and it requires special cleaning?? There is a total of 6 bathrooms... and a conference room with 8 offices... all base decks and shelving will also need to be wiped down... he also said to include unit? Pricing? There is also compartment sinks and he wanted me to add a merit in for light vacuuming...

He said the last building they made was same SQ FOOTAGE and same size and same layout... and the other cleaning company cleaned it with a 12 man crew in 3 1/2 days...

Building size is 115,000 SQ FT but I was told it was actually 70,000 SQ FT cleanable...
    Here is a copy of building layout also...

Apr 12, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Business Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 09:05 PM

Ok, large project, very large.

May I suggest that when you are told something by the client that you do not understand that you ask for clarification on the spot and leave it open to be able to call him back if you have additional questions. It doesn't show stupidity it says that you want to understand exactly what they want and that you want to deliver a quality job. (pride goes before the fall... )

Ok, first some questions;

When is this proposal due?

When will the job start?

Is this something like a Walmart or Target store? That will give me a better picture if I know.

You do however still have to sweep and mop the hard floors right? Are most of these floors VCT? Do you have a schematic for the floor types?

Find out exactly what they mean by sensitive glass doors on the freezers? Is he talking about the type of cleaner to be used here?

I need some sense of how many shelving gondolas there are and how many shelves per unit? This can be very time consuming which translates to labor time obviously.

"he also said to include unit?" You need to ask him exactly what he means... I believe that he means the base of the gondola/s but it could mean anything and that means that anything you do not understand can cost you a fortune... ask!

Carpeting... I think that he is looking for a separate price on the vacuuming... ask!

"the other cleaning company cleaned it with a 12 man crew in 3 1/2 days....." If that is the case (?) then if each worker worked 8 hours per day then that translates to total job labor of 336 hours.

You should still work out your own labor and compare that to his hours... a must to do...

Figure the total labor hours for the job, times the wage you will be paying, times all your costs and your profit...

You have work to do and quickly Cleaning. Familiarize yourself completely with the information that you already have and then call him and tell him that you want to make sure that you completely understand exactly what he needs and wants. Be professional always and make him feel secure with you. Calling him also can build a rapport as I have mentioned many times before.

Please try to answer each of my questions Cleaning, you can't quote properly without any of them answered.

Please get back to me when you have more info or questions.

Stringer
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
    Stringer really knows his stuff and is a major player in the industry, Cleaningman23! As such, I would consider his opinion as good as gold and second to none!

I may have already stated that on this thread. Don't know right now...

I'm always willing to help with the advertising end of things though...

Apr 13, 2010, 08:21 AM

Ok , well the proposal is due at the end of the week on Friday April 16th from what I am told. Healso said that the job would start on May 3rd(monday) or Or may 10th (monday),
    The store is going to be a Meijer's. He said we will have enothing to do with the floors except some minor spots on the carpet(pharmacy area) and offices and other minor areas...
    I do not have a schematic of the floor plan. He siad to add a merit for light vacuuming..

The freezer doors from what I am told are sensitive and require a special cleaner due to a light film that is on them..?

I will be contacting him today for further information.. it is hard to get a hold of him..

Apr 13, 2010, 08:28 AM

Also, I have a video and some pictures I took... I will upload them shortly.. my camera is not next to me right now...
    Business Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 09:02 AM

Ok let me know after he answers your questions.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to bid on commercial cleaning job 284000 sq ft should I bid per sq or per hour [ 5 Answers ]

I have the oppurtunity to bid a pretty big commercial cleaning job 296 offices, 59 bath rooms15 kitchens 32 waiting areas. What is the best way to bid this job.

How do I bid a commercial cleaning job? [ 2 Answers ]

I need help on finding free information for commercial bidding. I have a job that I need to price its an office building in Noblesville Indiana. It is 5200 sq. ft. 90% of it is carpeted. It has 5 offices, 3 bathrooms, carpeted stairs going down to a conference room and a kitchen area. How do I bid...

Commercial Cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

What is the average price per square foot for commercial cleaning estimates

Need to know how to bid on a cleaning job for a commercial building. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I am new to the site and I'm hoping someone can help me. My brother and I are starting a commercial cleaning business and we have everything we need we are not sure on how to bid on a building. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Commercial cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

How do I price a commercial cleaning?

View more questions Search