Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ling918 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2010, 10:14 PM
    How to understand him better?
    Threads merged

My boyfriend is a very artistic person. He keeps a lot of things to himself and think about lots of things. He is very sharp in his mental and sensitive in emotion. But I'm a total opposite. We had been together for 2 years but till now, he complains that I do feel and understand him.. but I had tried my best and yet I cant... please help me..

I have been together my boyfriend for 2 years but I'm not sure I am just mere selfish or I really love him. He is a very great guy and I started to have feelings for him. But due to my personal problem - feeling lost and feel uncared to things surrounding me, I did not have the amazing love feeling that I used to have. But I do know I don't want to be apart from him. Am I being selfish or do I really love him? Sigh.. I really want to be with him forever.. I hope its just my personal problem that can be settled quickly so that we could have a fantastic relationship together..
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 10:45 PM

Hello ling,

Could you please be more specific about your personal problem/problems?

It would help me better understand your situation.

Thank you.

Apr 8, 2010, 11:20 PM

I have some personal problem which changed me from a bright, sharp and passionate girl to a person who doesn't care much about my surroundings which I think was caused by my previous relationship which was 5 years ago. I was deeply hurt but now, I do not have feelings for that person anymore. I feel a barrier in me that I can't release my feelings for others including to my boyfriend. My boyfriend knew I have this problem since the day we were together but he remained and tried helping me through but to no avail. I understand the disappointment and discouragement in him because he remained closely with me for 2 years but couldn't feel the true love from me due to my barrier.
    I am not sure whether the barrier has blocked my love to him but, no matter how hard he tries to melt down the barrier, it just doesn't work. I feel so unreal in this world. The amazing and greatest of love was not felt by me anymore, but I know I never want to leave him. I just want to be with him. I am not sure I am with him because I love him, or I'm just being selfish.. I feel so sad that I am at this current state.
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Apr 9, 2010, 12:05 AM

He is artistic. He could also be very over dramatic. Then again a lot of quiet artistic people come from hard lives. Could he be having issues at home?
    How old are you?

Also note that sometime people are just not matched up to work. Hate to say it but if you cannot connect to one another there is a real problem. Got to find a way to connect and communicate.

Apr 9, 2010, 12:38 AM

I am 23 now and he is 22. He used to have issues at home when he was young, but not anymore. He doesn't like to express his thought using words and expect me to understand him. I know when we understand a person well enough, we should be able to do that, but I just can't figure out his complicated thinking. Sigh...

Apr 9, 2010, 12:42 AM

He is making it too hard on you without good reason. He just wants you to do all the work in communication is what it sounds like. I say tell him to give up that shattered heart boy persona and give you a chance here.

Or if you like that side of him I suggest telling him that if he doesn't strive to make understanding him easier the relationship is not going to end well. I mean he has to try too and it sounds like you are trying so hard you are stressing yourself out needlessly.

And sorry but it sounds like he wants you to change who you are so you can understand him better.
    Sorry, you shouldn't have to change your personality just to understand someone. Its not worth it. You need to be who you are and he needs to be himself. But communication isn't hard. He needs to use his words for you and accommodate you. You should not have to change who you are for him, you are not his clay and he can not mold you

Apr 9, 2010, 12:58 AM

Its okay for me to change for him but I do not know how can I change for him. I can't understand him and I'd really love to understand him. I think that should be my problem because any girlfriends would definitely understand their boyfriends right? I understand that he is disappointed despite us being 2 years together, I still can't do the basic thing that a girlfriend should. He did explain his thoughts to me, but maybe I am just to different from him that I can't be in his mood. Sigh. I really want to be a perfect girl for him...
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 01:23 AM

You can only do so much. What is it that he wants? You act like he speaks a different language. He expressed what he wants, so can you give it to him or not? Him being artistic has nothing to do with it. I am very artistic in many ways, and I sometimes act complicated but we in fact are emotional. Something is bothering him and when the other person doesn't know it makes us feel alone. It could be a phase, so talk and hug him and tell him everything will be okay. Good luck!

Apr 9, 2010, 01:26 AM

Yeah, that could work. I don't know, I think you are trying more than him. And you can't be the perfect girlfriend. Its impossible to be anyone's perfect someone because no one is perfect. And the closest way to be his perfect someone is to be him, and that is something you cannot do.

Apr 9, 2010, 01:48 AM

Something is bothering him and when the other person doesn't know it makes us feel alone.

Emopunk, I think that is exactly how my boyfriend feels. The thing is, I am just a failure in making him feel better :(

Larken85, no matter how hard is it, I will just try my best for him, and thanks for your advise! :)

Apr 9, 2010, 02:03 AM

You're welcome, but my advice was to get him to help you.
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 04:11 AM

Try talking with him again.

Apr 9, 2010, 07:21 AM

Hmm, not sure that was the explanation enigma was looking for. But you should talk to a doctor about it. You sound really depressed, like a dark haze has settled over your eyes and now everything is dull and dark. You never know what the doctor might do that could help you. :)

As for what I think about your current boyfriend... I think he is a really nice guy. I think you are maybe using the hurt as a crutch so that you can protect yourself from being hurt again. I think you could use to open up to the world and to do so quickly. I also think that you can't make a decision about your current boyfriend until you can think more clearly about how you feel about him.

Last thought though, I think that if you are here asking us if we think you are being selfish and you do not know if you are being selfish, then you really do feel like you are being selfish and you are hoping we will say you aren't. Just my opinion

Apr 9, 2010, 08:51 AM

Well larken, yeah.. I do feel I am selfish at times, but all I want to do is to open up my locked heart for him which I am trying very very hard. Before we were together, I was the person who initiated this relationship with having good feelings for him first but I believe my barrier has stopped my feelings from going further than it should and that is why I am wondering if I truly love him or I am being selfish to just keep him by my side.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 08:59 AM

You seem very confused about this relationship and the relationship itself seems disfunctional.

He wants you to have hymen reconstructive surgery (following some type of sports injury and intercourse WITH HIM) so that HE can be the person who ruptures your hymen? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/adult-...ml#post2308166

Apr 9, 2010, 09:29 AM

He is sure that he wants to be with me and I have total confidence in that. Its just me being confused here. I love him but I just have some barrier in me that I need to overcome. The barrier has caused much stress and confusion in me. Apart from that, we are great. The hymen construction is all voluntary. Just a way to express that he is the chosen one.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 9, 2010, 10:52 AM

I think you have done enough to please him, and be perfect, and he has done little to help you. You have gone to extremes for him to be happy but he isn't doing his part to appreciate it.

If he can't talk to you, he sure won't listen to you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 10:58 AM

If you feel you need to undergo expensive, painful surgery to prove something to "him," he is not the right choice for you - or any other woman.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 04:52 AM

If this relationship isn't dysfunctional, I'll jump off the nearest cliff with cinder blocks tied to my feet.

Good grief!

It isn't working! After two years if you can't get a grip on who he is, and he can't get a grip on who you are, and you need to ask yourself if you truly love him- why keep this torture going.

Reconstruction surgery? Are you serious? That will show him what exactly?

I see no common ground between the two of you. No communication, no foundation to work through problems together, no understanding of eachother's needs and wants.

After two years, if the two of you can't work out the simplest of problems, this isn't about love at all, it is about fear.

I suspect that you are afraid to stay, and you are afraid to go.

Of course, only my opinion here, but if I were in your shoes, with a man that I couldn't communicate my needs to, and my desperation to impress upon him that he is 'the one', and go to the extent of having my hymen reconstructed to do so- that requires a cast iron frying pan to the side of my head to smarten me up.

My advice is to find a more compatible partner who is your equal, and who respects you for who you are, not what he wants you to be.

That you are willing to go to such extremes to justify a relationship with him, is not healthy in my opinion.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 06:49 PM
    QUOTE by Larken85;
    Hmm, As for what I think about your current boyfriend... I think he is a really nice guy.
    Wow, you can tell he is a nice guy from what has been written here?

He is the guy that wants her to have surgery... for HIS reasons.

Yea, nice guy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I just don't understand this [ 2 Answers ]

1-2 paragraphs Details: Many high-technology companies, like Nortel Networks, Micron Technology and JDS Uniphase, have written down massive amounts of their inventory. For example, Nortel Networks revalued some of its inventory parts at $0, though the inventory initially cost Nortel $650 million....

How do I understand her [ 15 Answers ]

Edited for chat speak, and spelling Hey I took this girl out for a date, she is extremely rich and she is never gone out with Anyone before, she was very happy and all but next day she says she wants to end it but Somehow I managed to take it further and we used to go for walks like...

I don't understand him [ 3 Answers ]

I really like this guy and last summer we dated for a few month. We started sleeping together but it seemed he only contacted me when he wanted sex so I felt for my own dignity I needed to end the relationship even though I really cared for him. He text me back and asked me why I was ending...

I just don't understand [ 2 Answers ]

My ex and I were together 18 years She left me 14 times (BPD). I never cheated on her alhough every time she split I did get with people. Sometimes very full on. Every time we got back together I remained faithful. Whenever we were together and argued, she punished me for hese relationships and...

Does anyone understand [ 7 Answers ]

I understand that this question is pretty stupid and is probably a waste of everyone's time but I was wondering why there are such courses like 'how to choose a tv' I can sort of understand when people really don't know and refuse to be ripped off, but isn't it just a waste of a course that could...

View more questions Search