Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimmyLar46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 08:10 PM
    US Army Hospital in Bremerhaven, Germany on Facebook
    My daughter was born in a US Army Base Hospital in Bremerhaven, Germany in 1971. Her parents were both US Citizens with the father being a military serviceman (Navy). Does she still have dual citizenship almost 40 years later in both Germany and the USA?
    sandiego2010 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 09:26 PM

Hi... yes, unless citizenship of one of the countries was given up at a previous time.
    JimmyLar46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 07:15 PM
    So, just to be clear... as long as my daughter did not formally give up her German and American citizenship, she is a dual citizen?
    onlyjpw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2011, 06:23 AM
    I just went through a lot of crap with Social Security after trying to file for benefits and I too was born in the same hospital in 1953 and NO, your daughter does not have duel citizenship. She is an American only
    Reeko85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2012, 01:05 AM
    I was born there as well in 1985. Both my parents were American and I'm an Army brat. I have never had German citizenship. Maybe because it's a military hospital, it's considered American soil. I maybe mistaken, I only lived in Germany for 2 months and that's the only foreign country I been to. But I see no reason why she would have dual citizenship if her parents were both American and in the military.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Here's the law:

"4.As of January 1, 2000, a child born in Germany to non-German parents automatically acquires German citizenship at birth by soli if: (1) at least one parent had lived legally in Germany for at least eight years prior to the birth; (2) at the time of the birth, that parent had a permanent residence permit (either an Aufenthaltsberechtigung or, for the three years prior to the birth, an unbefristete Aufenhaltserlaubnis). Note that: 1.The child must choose between German nationality and the nationality of his/her parents before he/she turns 23 years of age, unless it is legally impossible for him/her to give up his/her parents' nationality, in which case he/she must apply to the German authorities for dual nationality before turning 21.
    2.Those born in Germany to non-German parents before February 2, 1990, have no claim to German citizenship under this law.
    3.For more information, please contact your local Staatsangehörigkeitsbehörde or the nearest office of the Ausländerbeirat (Foreigners Advisory Council)." Dual Nationality | United States Diplomatic Mission to Germany
    alxkohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
    I was born in Bremerhaven Army hosp in 52 and had similar questions as most of you have Queried., My Mother was BRITISH, Father was DOD civilian, American. Being Born Germany in ANY american military hosp, flying the AMERICAN flag, YOU are considered AMERICAN, NOT dual, NOW a few years ago I laso had this "dilema", I contacted the GERMAN Consulate General in ATLANTA, and my response was ABSOLUTELY NOT sir, YOU are american! I lived in germany for 25 years, (on and off), DAC dependent and as enlisted.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alxkohn View Post
    I was born in Bremerhaven Army hosp in 52 and had similar questions as most of you have Queried.,, My Mother was BRITISH,, Father was DOD civillian, American. Being Born Germany in ANY american military hosp,, flying the AMERICAN flag, YOU are considered AMERICAN,, NOT dual, NOW a few years ago I laso had this "dilema", I contacted the GERMAN Consulate General in ATLANTA, and my response was ABSOLUTELY NOT sir,, YOU are american!. I lived in germany for 25 years, (on and off),, DAC dependent and as enlisted.

Isn't that what I said?
    alxkohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Yes it was Judy, but when I found this site, it was quite late, and I registered quickly. I spoke of my own personal experience prior to 2000. I do however recall in 1972 My Mother asking me if I wanted to join the Bundeswehr, or the US army.
    18wheels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
    I was born in the United States Army Hospital in Bremerhaven on 2-17-1950. Was Adopted in Hampton Va. On Sept. 1958 through the Hampton Welfare Service. I would like to know how I could be able to get a birth certificate. I only have a Birth certificate from the adoption in 1958 with my adopted name

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

It's the army movie, I don't know the title. In the movie 6 guys met in the army and [ 1 Answers ]

It's the army movie, I don't know the title. In the movie 6 guys met in the army and their officer name was Sergeant? And one name was Jerome and another name was Epstein or something.. I just remember the movie name has two words. The first one starts with a B and the second also starts with a B....

Going into the army! Maybe? [ 6 Answers ]

OK, so I have a new question! To any prior military, or current military, or anyone who can actually answer this one! Is it HIGHLY unlikely for the army to accept a person who has a DUI, implied consent, and a simple assault charge??

Army Prep. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on enlisting in the army with in the next year and this is my question for you guys, I've been researching diet plans and exercise routines but so far I haven't found anything good. If any of you can suggest a diet plan to promote weight loss and an exersice plan that can help me...

Army of Two? [ 23 Answers ]

All right, this is embarrassing. But I can't ask any of my co-workers, because I don't want to be made fun of. Not everyone is very Understanding in the US. Army. I'm not embarrassed of the woman I love, it's just that she lives back home, and I'm about to be Deployed to Iraq... Now, I grew up...

View more questions Search