Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cning Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Can we choose "Married filing separate" after we filed federal return jointly?
    Our situation is as follows:
    1. I (h-1b) lived and worked in VA in2009.
    2. My wife (F-1) lived and worked in MO in 2009.

We jointly filed federal return for 2009. But we are not sure if we can choose "Married filing separate" when filing state tax return. We called MO dept of taxation and was told if you chose "Married filing joint" in federal return, you have to choose the same for state. But it says that we can choose "Married filing separate" for state even we jointly filed federal return.
    I am confused.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 10:45 PM

Normally you need to file joint return for state also.
    For VA you are resident and will report your income. Your spouse is nonresident and does not have any MO income.
    Similarly do MO. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 9, 2010, 07:04 AM

Yes - you can file as Married Filing Separately on your individual home state returns as long as your spouse did not live in your state and did not have any income from your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married filing separate or jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was married in June and am filing taxes with another for the first time. Here's the question. We want to file jointly on the federal form and separately on the state forms. I live in MA, his primary residence is in VT. Can we do this? Do we use the 2 addresses on the federal form? Or...

Different state employees filing married jointly for federal but separate state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

We got married in Dec 06 month. We want to file federal tax 2007 married jointly. She lives in Alabama and I live in Wisconsin. I am a resident alien and she is not. For federal, I can apply 1040 R, jointly married. My question is whether we have to file state tax married jointly? If I file...

Wife on L1 last year, now on H4. Should I file under "Married filing Jointly" [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My wife was working in US in 2007 under L1 visa & we filed our taxes in 2007 under the category "Married filing Jointly". She left her job & is now under H4 visa all through 2008. Can we file again this year under the same category even though she is no longer having an income? She has a SSN.

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

How to file "Married filing jointly" when one is on H1B and spouce on F-1? [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your feedback for the question on social security and medicare taxes not withheld. I have another tax related question I was hoping you could answer too. As I mentioned in the previous question, I am on H1-B (resident for tax purposes), while my wife is on F-1 visa as a...

View more questions Search