Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Has anyone noticed this pattern?
    Last week, citing the March jobs report, Obama said "we are beginning to turn the corner" on jobs. This week, jobless claims rose "unexpectedly."

Seems every time there is some less than good economic news it's "unexpected."

1/19/10 US home builder sentiment unexpectedly fell in January

1/21/10 The number of U.S. workers filing new applications for unemployment insurance unexpectedly rose last week

1/27/10 Sales of newly built U.S. single-family homes fell unexpectedly in December

2/4/10 First-Time Jobless Claims Rise Unexpectedly

2/12/10 Consumer Sentiment Unexpectedly Slips in February

2/25/10 The number of new claims for unemployment benefits jumped unexpectedly

3/4/10 Pending home sales unexpectedly plunge

What have these people been expecting?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 04:00 PM

Of course it is 'unexpected'. Otherwise, if it was expected, it would indicate someone somewhere would know w.t.h is going on and hopefully be implementing a well thought out plan for recovery. Plus, to say it was 'expected' is just negative. Can't have negative reporting, it turns eyeballs away and that affects the bottom line.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 04:29 PM

Wonder what is going to happen to the jobless claims when census taking is complete?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    wonder what is going to happen to the jobless claims when census taking is complete?
    It will rise because the workers will have enough seniority to now become a working member for the IRS.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 9, 2010, 04:55 AM

"unexpectedly" after the bad news is better than "oh oh" or ""sorry" or "crap" at the beginning of bad news. ;)

G&P
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Has anyone noticed this pattern?
    Hello Steve:

Nope.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 06:15 AM

Has the media just not been able to follow the trend, do they depend on the worst economic panel in the world, or just trying to spin the bad news?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 06:24 AM
    Has the media just not been able to follow the trend, or just trying to spin the bad news?
    Hello again, Steve:

I don't know. Are you just trying to spin the news period? Tell me, Steve. Did you do all the research into your "unexpected" supposition, and come to the conclusions you have, all by yourself, or did you have some right wing media help?

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    I don't know. Are you just trying to spin the news period?
    Um, so far I've made one brief opening observation and asked questions.

Tell me, Steve. Did you do all the research into your "unexpected" supposition, and come to the conclusions you have, all by yourself, or did you have some right wing media help?
    I did some and I had some help. Is there a problem with taking advantage of resources? You do.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 12:17 PM
    I did some and I had some help. Is there a problem with taking advantage of resources? You do.
    Hello again, Steve:

Sure, I do. But, then I don't turn around and use the spin I got to debunk your spin.

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 12:36 PM

Yeah I see a Pattern... Obama says something that's obviously a lie, over and over again... so his ever shrinking group of supporters will believe he is doing something he isn't. Since they believe anything he tells them.

Like making ANYTHING better than it was when he took office.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

Sure, I do. But, then I don't turn around and use the spin I got to debunk your spin.
    And as I pointed out already, I've only asked questions, I've given no spin whatsoever. So what's your purpose, to discredit me for no good reason or answer any of the questions?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 01:34 PM
    So what's your purpose, to discredit me for no good reason ?
    Hello again, Steve:

I have an excellent reason - you're wrong.

excon
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 9, 2010, 05:27 PM
    And as I pointed out already, I've only asked questions, I've given no spin whatsoever. So what's your purpose, to discredit me for no good reason or answer any of the questions?
    When all you got is spin, you naturally assume that's all anybody's got.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 11, 2010, 02:47 PM

Ya know, I'm old enough to remember when the news media got away with lying by omission.

If it was controversial or didn't meet THEIR approval, they just didn't tell us about it until it had already happened and it was too late to do anything about it.

Now we have Fox news and talk radio.

Whatever you may think of them, they DO present the alternate view, and for that I am appreciative.

This goes to the lack of real reporting about the trends of the day in most of the media.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Get noticed [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get this guy to nitice me ?

She said just noticed how going out changes like nothing [ 3 Answers ]

I asked her to be my girlfriend today and she said yes then like an hour ago she said that going out feels like nothing changes is that bad or not? She is out the state four like a week so I won't shee her till she gets back

Getting a screenplay noticed [ 1 Answers ]

Hey experts I am a beginner with writing screenplays (and using computers... I'm not young, just late to join the rat race), but I have been told I describe good ideas for movies. Who do I ask to know how to shop a screenplay without it getting stolen? Should I be pestering lawyers? I guess the...

Have you noticed? [ 94 Answers ]

Have you noticed that every time Obama or a member of his administration say something or take some sort of action, the market tanks? Going backward in time, here are some examples. March 5, 2009 - Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner give testimony to Senate Finance Committee. DJIA down 279.57...

Only just noticed it [ 1 Answers ]

hi my back has been itchi and hot for aweek or so maybe bit longer its bin acheing for a lot longer than anything else though.but I thought the itching and being hot was mybra irratating it so I got sum new 1s and I was just in the bath and washing myback and found apatch on myback that is...

View more questions Search