Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherylpj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Ceiling fan works in the clockwise position but not in the counterclockwise position
    Our ceiling fan (circa 1998, Gulf STream Model 978A/five blade) has the typical switch on the side of the housing to enable the fan to go clockwise or counterclockwise. Counterclockwise works at all three speeds. Clockwise does not work at all. Gives no indication (motor noise) that there is any connection. Stumped as to why will work one way but not the other?!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 07:51 PM

Probably the switch is bad. Wiggle it, push it in, see if you can get it to move CCW at all. If so, replace the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow ceiling fan in any position [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a house 2 years ago. The previous owner put all new fans in all the bedrooms (the same fan size and all) with the exception that the master bedroom fan has 2 switches one to turn on light the other to turn on the fan. Both work, but when I use the chain to switch speeds, fast is slow and...

Fan doesn't work in on position or on cool [ 2 Answers ]

Changed therm. Didn't help?

Blower would not work on AUTO position just ON position [ 9 Answers ]

I have installed new rooftop unit- electrical heating & cooling- few weeks ago. When I run the cooling everything goes fine (blower and composer) but if I run the heating; heat element will fire up but the blower will not work unless I put the fan on ON position not AUTO position, so, please, I...

Heat pump: fan does not run with fan set to 'on' position [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump system and a programmable thermostat. The system runs fine, in heat or cool mode, with the fan set to 'auto'. It will not run (no fan) in heat or cool mode with the fan setting set to 'on'.

Ceiling Fan replacement SPTT 4 position, 4 wire pull chain switch [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need a replacement switch and capacitor for a ceiling fan for which I don't know the brand, the fan is marked with HMP-52, 86Amps, 120V, 85W. The 4 position, triple throw, 4 wire switch is a Zing Ear ZE-208S The capacitor is marked as an SK 4.5uF-U 250WV.AC, is rectangular in shape and...

View more questions Search