Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mutterly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Beginning new business - Withdraw 401?
    I am considering opening own consulting business. Should I consider pulling money from my 401 plan for start up cost? I am 44yr and have about 40,000 in my 401

Thanks in advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Have you did a business plan, have you looked into the business,

I have always hated to see people spend their entire retirement savings and then lose their entire savings and retirement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutterly
    I am considering opening own consulting business. Should I consider pulling money from my 401 plan for start up cost? I am 44yr and have about 40,000 in my 401

No, No and NO!

First, there is the tax 10% penalty you will take on the distribution. Then there is the tax liability.

What startup costs would there be for a consulting business? Mostly business cards, a brochure some advertising. If you are not prepared for those costs already, you should be holding off. Raiding part of your nest egg is definitely not the way to go.
    Mutterly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Have you did a business plan, have you looked into the business,

I have always hated to see people spend thier entire retirement savings and then lose their entire savings and retirement.
    Yes I have completed a business plan and have identified first clients. My concern is I will have to discontinue my 8-5 employment due to conflict of interest / company guidelines and I was thinking about my 401 monies in case of the worse scenario to cover living expenses until my business is strong and income is coming in.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Dec 3, 2006, 11:16 AM
    I agree with what Scott said. Definitely not. Leave the retirement saving alone. Borrow if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beginning runner needs help [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently trying to train for what's called an Eco Challenge and I'm starting by running mainly. I need to work up quickly to 4miles and I'm struggling at 2 1/2 right now. I need breathing tips also. Hopeful jogger :eek:

Procedure to withdraw 401k money [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was employed with an american firm till the end of September 2006. I am no longer living in the US. I want to withdraw my entire 401 K amount early next year. What is the procedure to withdraw the money ? There is a tax penalty of 10%... when I receive the amount, will it be the...

In the beginning... [ 108 Answers ]

I direct these questions to Christians, but any may answer. As a preface to your answer please tell me if you are or are not a Christian. FYI, I am a Christian. 1. Do you believe in evolution? 2. Do you believe in the "gap theory?" 3. Do you believe the 6 days of creation were 24 hour...

IS it just me or is the beginning the hardest? [ 14 Answers ]

I am just curious, did anyone else here have a really tough time with their husband/wife the first couple of years, because boy, I sure am!:( My husband and I had a baby a yr ago and it has gotten really hard lately. Tonight for example he just took off and took out $150.00 out of our account...

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search