Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    semicharmedlife Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2010, 05:14 PM
    What form for 2nd year H1b federal taxes?
    Hello,

I have been in the US since 2004 on an F1 visa and switched to the H1B visa in Oct-2008.

So I have been physically present in the US for more than 31 days of this year and 183 in the 3-year period and based on this I pass the SPT.

Does that mean that I will now be a resident for tax purposes or should I still continue to file the 1040NR form as I am on an H1 visa?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Melissa
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 08:00 PM

Starting with Oct 2008, your days in U.S. are not exempt from residency. If you meet SPT in 2009, file resident tax return.
    semicharmedlife Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 07:33 PM

Thanks MukatA. That would either be forms 1040/1040EZ correct?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 10:32 PM

Yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which form do I have to use for federal taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked as a J1 scholar from October 2008 to March 2009. In 2008 I sent a 1040NR-EZ form and a 8843 and I got a refund thanks to the US-Italy treaty. I want to do the same thing this year. Since I am not living in the US anymore should I file the 8843 form? If the answer is yes what should I put...

What do I do if I have not paid out any federal taxes all year? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been on unemployment for 9 months out of this year. I did not have any taxes withheld, state or federal, I have been working now since I ended my unemployment, but I just realized that the place I am working messed up and did not take any federal taxes out either. They are taking state but...

H1B 3rd Year Tax Form? [ 2 Answers ]

It is my understanding that in the 3rd year of being on an H1B visa one would need to file an 1040NR and NOT the 1040NREZ. Is this true? Additionally are there any tax treaty between US & Pakistan that would give H1Bs some deduction? Thanks!

Form to be filled for OPT and H1B in same year [ 1 Answers ]

I was on OPT from Jan 07 to Oct 07 and H1B from Oct 07 - DEC 07. Yesterday, I was told that I need to fill two forms for federal return (one for OPT 1040 EZ )and second for H1B (i.e. 1040). I was thinking that I can fill one form (1040) but now I am confused. 1. Please let me know which form do...

Federal Taxes withheld for H1B [ 1 Answers ]

My H1 start date is October 1st 2007.I am working in Texas. What is the total Percentage of taxes(including ss and medicare) that are withheld for a H1-B employee.I tried to search online but could not find any answer. Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search