Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Apr 7, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Good exercise/weight loss with arthritis
    Hello, I'm 19 years old, female. I am 5'4 and used to weigh 225-230. I lost weight a while back and am currently 185. I would love to lose another 20-40 pounds. I would love to tone my legs, stomach and upper arms. But I would rather my legs be the main thing I work on. My problem is I suffer from really bad arthritis in my hips and knees and I'm flat footed.. So, it is very difficult for me to walk a lot, run, and nearly impossible for me to do squats and lunges. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on exercises I can do to tighten and tone my legs easily?
    And I can't afford a personal trainer, so, please don't suggest it.

Thank you to anyone who helps! (:
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 08:18 AM

Have you tried water aerobics?
    There is no stress on the joints.

Apr 7, 2010, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    Have you tried water aerobics?
    There is no stress on the joints.
    I don't have a pool and live 2 hours from my closest beach..
    Dating & Teen Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 08:28 AM

Is there no health club or something you can join that has a pool?
    What about Yoga?
    pmera Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Apr 7, 2010, 09:00 AM

Dear Skyrocket

Congratulations on your fitness journey so far! The next step for you will not involve walking or running to loose weight. Walking and running are great for the heart and lungs and for maintaining weight but to change body composition you need to add muscle. When you add muscle you increase your metabolism which will help you burn excess calories and muscle is what shapes and creates the "toned" look. You need to do full body workouts to keep getting to your goals, spot specific training generally doesn't work. As for training your legs, machines like the leg extension and leg curl at the gym are great. If the arthritis is particularly bad start doing that same motion but with a small ankle weight. Because you are working with arthritis your rule is to work within your pain free range of motion (however that doesn't mean burn free, muscle should feel like its working but the joints should be pain free).

Make sure your workouts contain the major muscle groups and if time is restricted you can split up your muscle groups. 3 times a week will help you see results, and changing your rep ranges and workout choices about every 6-8 weeks will keep you from plateauing.

Strength - 6-8 weeks, 4-8 reps, 3-4 sets 2-3 min rest between sets
    Strength phase increases strength and lifting ability and bursts our plateaus

Build - 6-8 weeks, 8-12 reps, 3-4 sets, 1-3 minutes rest between sets
    Build stage builds lean muscle to increase your metabolism and help you drop fat percentages

Edurance - 6-8 weeks, 15-20 reps, 2-4 sets, minimal rest or rest at the end of your sets.
    Endurance stage helps your create burn in your body and drop fat.

Cycle through these stages of change and you will start to seeing more results.

Wish you the best!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket Away View Post
    Hello, I'm 19 years old, female. I am 5'4 and used to weigh 225-230. I lost weight a while back and am currently 185. I would love to lose another 20-40 pounds. I would love to tone my legs, stomach and upper arms. But I would rather my legs be the main thing I work on. My problem is I suffer from really bad arthritis in my hips and knees and I'm flat footed.. So, it is very difficult for me to walk a lot, run, and nearly impossible for me to do squats and lunges. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on exercises I can do to tighten and tone my legs easily?
    And I can't afford a personal trainer, so, please don't suggest it.

Thank you to anyone who helps! (:
    A "disagree" is to only be used if the information given was not factual, not otherwise.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 09:42 AM

Do you have access to a YWCA or YMCA facility with a Pool? Swimming or powerwalking IN the water is less stressful on the joints with the boyancy provided by the water.

LATE EDIT: Somehow the earlier comments and response about NOT having a pool nearby did not display when I posted this.

Apr 7, 2010, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pmera View Post
    Dear Skyrocket

Congradulations on your fitness journey so far! the next step for you will not involve walking or running to loose weight. Walking and running are great for the heart and lungs and for maintaining weight but to change body composition you need to add muscle. when you add muscle you increase your metabolism which will help you burn excess calories and muscle is what shapes and creates the "toned" look. You need to do full body workouts to keep getting to your goals, spot specific training generally doesnt work. As for training your legs, machines like the leg extension and leg curl at the gym are great. If the arthritis is particularily bad start doing that same motion but with a small ankle weight. Because you are working with arthritis your rule is to work within your pain free range of motion (however that doesnt mean burn free, muscle should feel like its working but the joints should be pain free).

Make sure your workouts contain the major muscle groups and if time is restricted you can split up your muscle groups. 3 times a week will help you see results, and changing your rep ranges and workout choices about every 6-8 weeks will keep you from plateauing.

Strength - 6-8 weeks, 4-8 reps, 3-4 sets 2-3 min rest between sets
    Strength phase increases strength and lifting ability and bursts our plateaus

Build - 6-8 weeks, 8-12 reps, 3-4 sets, 1-3 mins rest between sets
    Build stage builds lean muscle to increase your metabolism and help you drop fat percentages

edurance - 6-8 weeks, 15-20 reps, 2-4 sets, minimal rest or rest at the end of your sets.
    endurance stage helps your create burn in your body and drop fat.

cycle through these stages of change and you will start to seeing more results.

Wish you the best!
    Thank you so much!
    Dating & Teen Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the balancer Stringer!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    Thanks for the balancer Stringer!
    Welcome. :)
    kiwi21 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2010, 11:58 PM

19 with arthritis? Tai chi then when you get some better mobility yoga. And look at joining a health class for older people cause they would be suffering from the same things that you are and I am sure they would not mind you being there if you told them your situation, it wouldn't cost very much and you would get good advice on how to exercise with your probs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exercise, but no weight loss. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm new to this site, so please bear with me. I really need some professional advice. I run every morning (M-F 10 miles), and Sat/Sun, about 15 miles. I also try to do a 10 to 15 minute kettlebell workout twice a week. An example of my daily meals is as follows:- B - Greek...

Weight loss, making my own weight loss journal [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 and I want to lose weight and make my own weight loss journal. What are some things I sholud keep trak of? And shloud there be things I sholud add as I start, like look at taking vitmins.

What weight loss program helps you detoxify and loss weight at a good rate? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to detoxify my body and loss weight healthily and rapidly. I want to lose 80 lbs by the end of the year.. . I did south beach and I lost about 50 pounds in not even 3 months. :)

Excessive Exercise For Weight Loss? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all.. I'm a 19 year old male and I know it's not healthy to loose more then 2 lbs a week but I'm going to aim for 4-5 lbs a week. But is this VERY dangerous? My body needs 2200 calories a day to maintain my weight, so instead I'm going to eat 1200 calories which is 1000 calorie difference...

What are good quick weight loss tips [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone... OK, here's the thing. One of my best friends and I are throwing our birthday parties together on Apr.14th. I'm not fat nor am I skinny. I'm what I like to call thick but I have these "luv handles" that I want to get rid of asap. Can somebody, anybody please tell me a good healthy...

View more questions Search