Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mum_b321 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2010, 05:31 AM
    Tricky child support situation
    A couple years ago my husband deployed to another country and met a girl, he was there for 6 months, two years later she told him she had a child for him and wanted him to sign some papers. He was not sure the child was his so he told her he won't sign it unless she can prove it. She had an high rank military guy she was dating who worked in the pentagon called my husband and threatened his job security if he did not sign the papers. My husband signed the papers. She told my husband later that she was getting married and wanted him to sign over the paper so the child can be adopted.. apparently that didn't happen. Years later she appeared again asking my husband to file for the child to become a citizen, I stepped in and told her not without proof that the child his in fact his, she threated child support unless it is done. We told her to go ahead with the child support as we will finally get proof that the child is in fact his. It seems that our lives gets worst whenever she comes to the US. We got served yesterday. My question is whether this is an international case since the child and the mother is from another country. Will the judge ask for proof that the child is in fact my husband and if he is, can we prevent her from taking the child back to the country of birth once the case is over. Reason being is the mother had her first child removed due to alcohol addiction, dealing with her has been one long blackmail, we do not want to associate with her and would rather take the child and call it a day.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 06:32 AM

He signed that he WAS the father at one point in time and now he says that was signed under coercion and he is NOT the father. He also signed (as the father) to allow the child to be adopted?

It's not International Law if she's currently in the US, requesting support.

You need an Attorney.

Also, this is not a "we" question, unfortunately. It is your husband's legal problem and you have no say in the matter.

Apr 7, 2010, 06:38 AM

Thank you, he signed the papers under coercion, he is not the proactiv one in our relationship, basically I have to step in to support him hence me asking the question. He did not sign the papers to have th child adopted, basically she told him the government of her country would pay for the child, he had to sign the papers giving them permission, out of fear he sent it, that was when I stepped in and told him not to sign anything unless he is 100 percent sure the child his in fact his. She wanted the child to become a citizen but at the time he was a resident himself and could not sign the papers for the child to become a citizen, therefore she decided to sue him for child support.. it may be 'him' but the decisions affects 'us'. Does the child become a citizen if the paternity says he is the father or will he have to file for the child, as he was not a citizen at the time of birth.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 06:41 AM

Your husband was or was not a US citizen when the child was born?

I understand why you are being proactive.

So he has twice acknowledged paternity and now wants to deny paternity?

What Country is she from and how is she getting in and out of US?

Apr 7, 2010, 08:37 AM

He was not a citizen when the child was born. He had no idea what the paper was or said as it was not written in english, she had explained that the paper was to allow the government the right to support the child.she is from iceland and has been using a visiting and a work visa to get into the country. He is not sure if the papers he signed were in fact a AP paper. Hopefully we can get a court order paternity.

Apr 7, 2010, 08:40 AM

By the way, apart from the paper he gave her he has never signed anything else or acknowledge the paternity, I have asked her numerous times to do a DNA, she said she couldn't get one as she was not a citizen. My husband is concern as to whether he has to file for the boy to be come a citizen now that he has become a citizen.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mum_b321 View Post
    Does the child become a citizen if the paternity says he is the father or will he have to file for the child, as he was not a citizen at the time of birth.
    It's not automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by mum_b321 View Post
    ... wether he has to file for the boy to be come a citizen now that he has become a citizen.
    No, he doesn't have to support the child's citizenship application (unless perhaps some brass-hat coerces him into doing so).
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 09:32 AM

Well, it appears he's easily coerced so...

Apr 7, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Well, it appears he's easily coerced so ...
    At first he refused to sign the papers for a while, until he got the call from the military personel working at the pentagon, since the pentagon's the one that controls his job he was more scared of his job security and what it would mean for him if he didn't sign the papers so he did it.. This mess is just because he refuse to do the citizenship for the child, I think the child was attending school here for a while and they were about to kick him out due to his status. My husband could not file for the child as he was not a citizen. I think making this go to court will be a good idea as we can finally see if the child is his and let the court set a firm ruling on the case so she cannot bribe us or have his job threatened as she wishes.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 11:18 AM

Someone at the Pentagon told him that he would lose his job if he didn't sign paternity papers?

Sorry but that is pretty hard to swallow.

I trust your husband has names and dates and can prove this allegation - and hopefully the Judge believes him.

And what was the threat the second time he signed?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 03:51 PM

If initial filing took place in another country then the other country should have jurisdiction over the child support and paternity. Then she can charge the U.S. with enforcement through treaties we have signed.

It doesn't seem a matter for U.S. courts at this time.

Apr 8, 2010, 05:13 AM
    Someone at the Pentagon told him that he would lose his job if he didn't sign paternity papers?

Sorry but that is pretty hard to swallow.

I trust your husband has names and dates and can prove this allegation - and hopefully the Judge believes him.

It may seems hard to swallow but remember he is military, apparently the guy was also stationed over there before she met my husband, she had an affair with him, when he got transferred back to the states he was stationed working out of the pentagon, so this is a military person we are talking about, he can work anywhere, you do have military personels working at the pentagon. Now what he did I am not sure, no telling this guy could have been a regular military security. The point is at the time when he called my husband he told him he was working at the pentagon and could have him loose his job.

Apr 8, 2010, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    If initial filing took place in another country then the other country should have jurisdiction over the child support and paternity. Then she can charge the U.S. with enforcement through treaties we have signed.

It doesnt seem a matter for U.S. courts at this time.
    She filed for child support here, but the paper she had my husband signed was sent back to iceland a couple years back. The only problem is my husband is not sure what the paper said as it was not in english.

Apr 8, 2010, 05:18 AM

The second threat was for my husband to file citizenship for the boy or she would sue us for child support. My husband was not a citizen so he couldn't file for him.. hence us getting sued right now.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 07:41 AM

I think you need an Attorney - this has too many twists and turns for AMHD to either get a clear picture or give good advice.

If your husband caves this easily under pressure then he needs someone with a legal education to speak for him.

I worked for the US Government myself - I never saw this kind of pressure (but I wasn't in the military and never worked at the Pentagon) so this is difficult for me to understand.

Unless his relationship with the mother of the child was totally unacceptable for one reason or another (her age, their age difference, she was employed by the Military in some capacity) and scandalous I fail to see why the Pentagon cared.

At any rate - you need an Attorney.

I don't think there's anything left to say.

Apr 8, 2010, 09:18 AM
    I think you need an Attorney - this has too many twists and turns for AMHD to either get a clear picture or give good advice.

If your husband caves this easily under pressure then he needs someone with a legal education to speak for him.

I worked for the US Government myself - I never saw this kind of pressure (but I wasn't in the military and never worked at the Pentagon) so this is difficult for me to understand.

Unless his relationship with the mother of the child was totally unacceptable for one reason or another (her age, their age difference, she was employed by the Military in some capacity) and scandalous I fail to see why the Pentagon cared.

At any rate - you need an Attorney.

I don't think there's anything left to say.

Thank you for your respond and advice. We are going to get a lawyer, just to be clear the Pentagon has nothing to do with the case, the guy who threatened my husband only worked there but he was/is apart of the military and a higher rank than my husband, which was why he got scared and signed the papers.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 03:17 PM

Gee, and we wonder why the military is in the shape it's on on occasion.

I'll be curious to see what the Attorney says and I wish you luck. Hopefully the Attorney can help you out -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support situation [ 17 Answers ]

I am the father of a child... I was never married to the mother. We broke up and the mother is now living in a boyfriends house with the child. Am I required to still pay some child support in this situation?

Such a tricky situation, really need support [ 14 Answers ]

To set the scene: I am 19, my boyfriend is 22 (next month) we have been seeing each other for about 2 months. From the very start he expressed his high sex drive, which did freak me out a little. He constantly talked about sex, but I tried to let it go over my head, as he has so many other lovely...

Tricky Situation [ 1 Answers ]

I suspect, for a few specific reasons, that the man I know as my father - who is married to my mother - may not actually be my biological father. The more I attempt to discreetly investigate my hypothesis, the more it seems quite likely. How on earth shall I ever broach this subject with my family?...

I got a tricky situation [ 7 Answers ]

Hey people I've been feeling like I'm ready for sex for a long time but then when me and my girlfriend get naked and cuddle I start with an errection but then loose it after foreplay?? I considered if I was gay, but this was most probs a pre and immature reaction I'm 18 but dontknow want...

Tricky Tax Situation [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, my basic information is as follows, 1. Married (My spouse is H1B status and resident alien) 2. Currently OPT (expired next February) and non resident alien (F1) So far, I had no income in the US except for small interests in bank accounts 3. Going to enter into contract as...

View more questions Search