Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jones3 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Apr 6, 2010, 09:29 AM
    Got caught stealing but police did not come I was told they will call me
    I got caught stealing, the undercover security caught me and took me to the back room, she took my info and told me that the police will call me at home and disscuse what happen and I will then be told if it's a warning or a court date
    They also told me that I will get a letter in the mail stating how much I owe zellers does this mean I have a record and will the cops call me at home?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 09:45 AM

First where do you live

You will have a record if you pay a fine, or plead guilty or have a trial and are found guility.

Personally I dobt the police were even called, but who knows, if they never call, then you don't have to worry

Apr 6, 2010, 11:14 AM
    I live in mississauga ontario canada
    Are the police suppose to be there
    And if they weren't would they call your house?
    The lost prevention told me I will receive a letter from the Civil Recovery and it will state how much I have to pay
    They took my address and picture but no police came
    I am a scared I was wrong for doing that I will pay whatever I have to but I don't want the police to come to my house.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 12:47 PM

I would believe what Zellers said. Do you now want contact at your house because your parents don't know?

If you use the search feature you will see this has been asked/answered before.

Apr 6, 2010, 01:00 PM

Yes I don't want that but I am 19
    I just don't want that I know I was wrong I will pay I have learned my leason
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 01:04 PM

There is no way to change the way Canada addresses shoplifting. If charges are filed, you will get the call. Minimally you will get a restitution letter.

Apr 6, 2010, 01:06 PM

What is a restitution
    And will the cops come to my house to give me a summon
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 01:07 PM

No, you will get a notice to appear in Court.

Restitution is the amount you have to pay Zellers - it usually is their expenses/fees in stopping you as well as the cost of the merchandise, whether the merchandise was returned to them.

Apr 6, 2010, 01:16 PM
    So I will get a notice to appear in court will they call me or mail it to me.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 01:20 PM

You will get a notice, not a phone call. That means it will come by mail.

Apr 6, 2010, 01:21 PM

OK thank you for you answers
    Is this a for sure thing that I will get in the mail

Apr 6, 2010, 01:22 PM

And going to court is for what I am being charged for, have you heard of this kind of situation where the cop did not come and I was released
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 01:40 PM

Yes.

Apr 6, 2010, 01:47 PM

So its normal that the cops don't show I always thought they have to be there

Apr 7, 2010, 11:31 AM
    When caught shoplifting does a police officer have to be there
    I was caught shoplifting by a myster shopper they took me to the back room and told me that I was being charged for thief under $5000, the items came up to $150-$200 worth she told me the cops would call me at home and give me a court date , which they did I now have court but I was also told that I was going to have to pay a fine to zellers.
    Does this mean I have to pay the courts and zellers once found guilty, I was charged when I was 17 I am now 26 I made the bad decision to steal and I am willing to pay everything will I have to do jail time?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 11:51 AM

You probably will not do jail time. Yes, you will pay the court costs.

You'll probably end up with a fine or probation.

Does that answer your questions?

Apr 7, 2010, 11:59 AM

Yes thank you
    I know I was stupid to steal I was wrong, do you think I have to hire a lawyer or just go with duty counsel, I was charged twice when I was younger about 6-7 years ago and I did community service and probation will that still affect the judges ruling with jail time for me?

Apr 7, 2010, 12:00 PM

Does police officer have to be there when getting caught with theift and if they were not there who will show up to court as a witness?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 12:04 PM

No, the police office does not have to be there when you were caught.

Why do you ask? Are you denying that you were caught shoplifting?

Don't try to nitpick the details unless you are willing to "do battle" with them to try to get out of it completely. If that's the case, then you should hire an attorney (which will cost you several hundred dollars at least)

Apr 7, 2010, 12:10 PM

No no I'm just asking I am guilty I just wanted to ask I will be plead guilty would I have to hire a lawyer or just go with duty councel
    And thank you so much foe your answers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got caught stealing: I'm 18 [ 6 Answers ]

I got caught stealing yesterday and I am 18. I stole 270 worth of clothing from Von Maur and they told me they would not put me in jail. They gave me a misdeamenor and this is my first offense. I am very scared about the consequences of the outcome of the court and need some advice on how to...

Caught stealing - 'Cash Return Fraud' [ 3 Answers ]

I worked for Old Navy for over 3 years, my bosses always bragged about me to their bosses, and I was one of the best employees they've ever had. Over a period of 6 or 7 months, I would keep customer's receipts from cash transactions and "return" items and pocket the cash. (It was always right...

Spouse caught stealing money [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently going through divorce and I finally received my wife's "Notice to Produce" documents and going through them I found that she has had a separate checking, saving and credit card account sent to her parents house that I was completely unaware of. The statements go back to 2006 it is...

I was caught stealing and now I'm afraid I will havea criminal record [ 23 Answers ]

PLEASE Help ME :( I was caught by a secret shopper at Zellers. For stealing a chocolate bar. I was sent to the back room with her, she called the police. When the police arrived she had tould him that she wasent going to banned me from the mall just at Zellers! ( for one year) The police officer...

Caught stealing makeup at K-Mart [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter got caught stealing makeup at K- mart , it's the first time, she had just turned 18. But they sent me a letter from a law firm for K-mart that we had to pay a 500.00 fine. We did not pay it and will not. This was separate from the court , at court they gave her a Number to call to...

View more questions Search