Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:11 AM
    Freedom of the Press
    Hello:

Wikileaks (http://wikileaks.org/) has probably produced more scoops in its short life than the Washington Post has in the past 30 years. If they had not obtained and then posted this video, we would not know about what happened with this incident.

The video is gruesome. Before it was leaked, the pentagon said they were responding to US troops coming under fire. The video shows something different...

The point of my post isn't the video, however. It's about wikileaks OBTAINING and RELEASING this video. I've been having a spirited discussion on another thread with some right wingers regarding their rant about restoring the Constitution. I wonder what they'll say about our First Amendment rights to a free press. Whadya want to bet that they'll condemn the release of the video, and out of the other side of their mouths, they'll scream about restoring the Constitution?

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:26 AM

It sucks when journalists get killed when they choose to embed themselves with enemy insurgents . The rest of the video looks like troops engaging insurgents during a war.

Wikileaks is a disgrace .They are serving as propagandists for the enemy.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:28 AM
    There is a spirited discussion of it on Digg: Classified US military video depicting slaying of Iraqis

I know you want to talk about the constitution, just wanted to offer the background.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:33 AM

The answer to the constitutional question is that Wiki is constitutionally permitted to release the video but whoever supplied it is a traitor.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Wikileaks is a disgrace .They are serving as propagandists for the enemy.
    Hello again, tom:

So, you DON'T support our First Amendment rights to a free press. That's what I thought you guy's would say. And, uhhh, that restoring the Constitution thingy you guys are hysterical about - what happened to that?

excon
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:34 AM
    The answer to the constitutional question is that Wiki is constitutionally permitted to release the video but whoever supplied it is a traitor.
    Why? Because it exposed a "mistake"?
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:36 AM

There was no mistake .It is war. The leaking is what is not covered constitutionally .
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:40 AM
    There were no AK-47s, no RPG (it was a camera on a tripod.), kids in a car were fired upon by the helicopter. No one ever fired at the americans.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:42 AM
    The leaking is what is not covered constitutionally .
    Hello again, tom:

I don't know about that: Whistleblower Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:44 AM

So the troops have to wait to be fired upon 1st ? This isn't police action it is war. You say it wasn't RPG . I see something different. But even if it is a camera in a war zone ,why should the troops assume that someone wants to take their picture when pointing what looks like a weapon at them.
    I'm sure Wiki wouldn't honor their memory or restraint.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 08:10 AM

Ex will get back to you on the whistlebower act. Not sure it applies to the military or for classified information . Also it is possible under various intelligence acts that the proper release would be to Congress and not the press.

I have emailed some people I know who are more familiar and will get back when they reply. Wikileaks is also a challenge because they operate inside and outside the US .I know much of their information has been filtered through their London operation.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 08:27 AM

And, uhhh, that restoring the Constitution thingy you guys are hysterical about - what happened to that?
    That would be putting words in my mouth . For the most part I think the Constitution doesn't need restoring . I point out specific cases where I think Congress ,the President oversteps... or in most cases ,the Judiciary mistakenly rules.

I agree with most of what the teaparty says about the Constitutional rationale for the growth of the government .But rarely do I find violations by the government regarding the press or speech.

The only 1st amendment issue I usually have is the misinterpretation of the establishment clause and the free exercise clauses to the 1st amendment .
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
    So the troops have to wait to be fired upon 1st ? This isn't police action it is war. You say it wasn't RPG . I see something different. But even if it is a camera in a war zone ,why should the troops assume that someone wants to take their picture when pointing what looks like a weapon at them.
    I'm sure Wiki wouldn't honor their memory or restraint.
    If it's war--REALLY war--why aren't we doing an all out effort to WIN it? We have the military and technology to take the country over and wipe out the population.

Oh wait--we're trying to be HUMANE during war.

Either we're the bad guys who are trying to win, or we're not really fighting a war.

Take your pick.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 08:48 AM

Hate to break the news to you... actually glad to break the news to you. The Iraq war has been won.

Still waiting for someone to declare VI day and schedule the ticker tape parade down the 'canyon of heroes' that our troops so richly deserve.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 08:51 AM

Yes restoring things to be "like" they were when consitituion was written.
    No news people with the military, anyone even writing negative about troops considered an enemy

Churches that were loyal to England had to close and their lands taken away.

Yep the good old days when it was first written and how the founders wanted it
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    There were no AK-47s, no RPG (it was a camera on a tripod.), kids in a car were fired upon by the helicopter. No one ever fired at the americans.
    Haven't watched the video yet but the opening disclaimer states "although some of the men appear to have been armed," which means most likely they were.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 09:02 AM
    Hate to break the news to you ...actually glad to break the news to you. the Iraq war has been won.
    Hello again, tom:

I'm going to reserve my vote till the fat lady sings. We still got lot's of soldiers there. Let's see how things are when they leave. Like when Bush hung his banner out too soon, I think you're being premature.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 09:38 AM

Our troops are still in Germany ,Japan,the Balkans ,Korea among many other nations . We will have a presence in Iraq by mutual agreement of our Iraq ally for a long time despite the President's claims of complete withdrawal.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Ex will get back to you on the whistlebower act. Not sure it applies to the military or for classified information . Also it is possible under various intelligence acts that the proper release would be to Congress and not the press.

I have emailed some people I know who are more familiar and will get back when they reply. Wikileaks is also a challenge because they operate inside and outside the US .I know much of their information has been filtered through their London operation.
    Here is the law pertinent to members of the Armed Forces .
    As suspected ;"whistlebowers " are protected when they report to Congress ;and inspector ,or within the chain of command.
    US CODE: Title 10,1034. Protected communications; prohibition of retaliatory personnel actions
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 01:08 PM

Im not sure what other had seen in the video but there was communication of others at the scene that fled and it caused the second attatck on a home. I don't see where they weren't doing their job. The unfortunate side is that yes. We must be fired upon first and more then once then receive permission to engauge. Its insane to release the dogs of war and put them on a short leash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Freedom [ 7 Answers ]

I feel like I have no freedom and no life. I'm sixteen and I have never partied or gone clubbing before. I've never drank, done drugs, smoked, or had sex. I'm a good girl, and I want to keep it that way. The PROBLEM is my parents are so strict on me. I am taking an ACT PREP class and they are...

Freedom of movement [ 8 Answers ]

With the father not named on the birth certificate, but wanting to be involved after not being involved for 6 years, is there a way to insure freedom of movement, travel out of country, moving to another state, etc. Unsure of what steps he might take or his intentions.

What is freedom? [ 11 Answers ]

Would the last man on earth be free? Does freedom and independence mean you are not dependent upon others for survival? If a master of slaves is dependent upon his slaves to do what he requires and needs to live... is he really free and independent?

Freedom of press [ 1 Answers ]

What should be guaranteed freedom of press besides newspapers? :)

Freedom of The Press. [ 9 Answers ]

Now I am for the freedom of the press, but do you think that sometimes they go a little too far? For instance, I heard where the National Guard were moving corps from the flood area in Mississippi. CNN was trying to make movies of this. The Guard joined ranks, standing at attention, and others...

View more questions Search