Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 11:00 PM
    Why Do Some Cats Not Know How to Use the Litter Box Properly?
    Hi, All!

Some cats do know how to scrape at the litter to cover their feces. Others don't seem to know how.

Some might say that it's because the mother cat didn't train them properly. Others might say that there simply isn't enough litter in the box for the cat to scrape and cover.

Or, that maybe the litter box is too dirty with the cats "stuff".

Any other possible reasons? Also, have you had experience with a cat that didn't know how to cover their "stuff" properly.

What are your thoughts about this, please?

Thanks!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 11:20 PM

I can only tell you that of all the cats I had who did not cover properly, they did it most of the time, or at least the majority of the time. I never saw where the amount of litter or cleaniness of the box ever matter. I usually keep a decent amount of litter in the boxes, not a sand dune or anything but certainly enough to scratch around. And I have two boxes (two cats) and clean them every day more often than not, and sometimes skip one day. Never makes any difference.

The only thing that makes a difference is when I have a cat that just really, really hates anything being in the box, wherein I have to be extra careful about keeping them clean -- and then the result is generally just going outside it.

One of my current doesn't cover anything. She tends to go at the very edge, and I think actually she just shoves the litter the wrong direction and never really gets it covered. The other one hangs out in there forever, covering, smelling, turning around 300 times, etc.
    catcrazy567 Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
    It really depends on the age of the cat. I have had three different set of kittens(at different times)and each kitten learned at a different time. If the kitten looks like it is about to use the bathroom quickly bring it to his/her's litter box. I cat will eventually learn.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 11, 2010, 03:24 PM

I think it's just an individual preference. Just like how much toilet paper a human chooses to use.

Some cats just do not see the use of covering their messes. Others are overly concerned with making sure everything is covered by as much litter as possible.

I have 5 cats right now. They range from spending a couple minutes or more piling litter on their messes to going and getting out of the box immediately. One spends a couple minutes scratching the sides of the box, the walls, the floor, and everywhere other than actually IN the box. I figure, as long as they go in the box, I don't really care if they bury their messes, or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cats 1st litter [ 5 Answers ]

Hi can anyone help my cat is having her 1st litter she delivered 1 kitten 22hrs ago and as had nothing since but her stomach is still solid she is eating pooing and weeing as normal though so I'm not sure if thee will be more can anyone help please

Litter training adult cats [ 5 Answers ]

My 4 year old (much loved) Domestic long hair has had litterbox trouble since recovering from URI when he was one year old. The vet suspects he lost his sense of smell, and has forgotten his original training. He has previously used the tile floor beside the box (great help), but since we...

My cats don't know how to use the litter box correctly. [ 6 Answers ]

My cats ARE litterbox trained but they can't figure out how to cover "it" up. Instead of using the litter to cover stuff, they try scratching at the sides of the litter box. We thought that getting a covered box would help because they wouldn't be able to grab the side as easily. But it didn't help...

Cats Defacating outside litter box suddenly! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Rose. In July 2006 we adopted an 11month old male cat named Handsome. Handsome is a very playful cat and extremely sociable in the home - never once did he hide from strangers who visited us. In January 2007 we adopted a 5 year old male grey cat, Andy, as a companion for...

4 cats litter box problem [ 1 Answers ]

We have four adult cats. Cleaning out the litter boxes is a full time job. We clean them out three to four times a day. We have one in a bathroom and two out in the garage, but everyone prefers the one in the bathroom. Do you have any suggestions on how to get them to use the ones in the garage...

View more questions Search