Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wesley Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 11:44 PM
    Murray rideing lawn mower
    I can not get it to start, it will start with starter fluid and dies. I do not know how to remove the carb to clean it, can you advise and do you think this is the trouble. It has set up for a good little bit.
    jhardegr Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Dec 3, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Are you using new gas? If the gas has been sitting a long time or is contaminated that could cause problems.

Also, could be a choke that is stuck. If you remove the air cleaner (usually a single screw) and spray some carb cleaner down the throat, working the throttle back and forth while you do it, you might be able to get it "unstuck" if that's the problem.

Was it running okay before it was stored?

Let me know if none of the above fixes it. It would also be helpful to know the model.

--John
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 09:25 AM
    A good little bit... at least 3 months or so with un-stabilized gas... it's the carb that needs cleaning (gummy gas does this, it stops up everything)

If your not up to the task... I'd recommend having a shop rebuild it, they are simple things but with lots of tiny parts (screws and such)

But a good rebuild... would to take the model, type and code off the engine... go to a small engine shop... acquire all the gaskets... and a carb kit...
    Take the carb off, apart... soak it in a bath type carb cleaner overnight... then blow any and all holes out with compressed air a few times...
    IT MAY TAKE A RINSE AND REPEAT to do it right... all in all, it would be cheaper yourself... a lot cheaper...

By the way... this gets asked a lot so I'm just going to tell you... nothing added to the gas will clean the carb...

Also does it have a fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carb too? (big, has two wires out of it)
    dogthebountyhunter1989 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wesley
    I can not get it to start, it will start with starter fluid and dies. I do not know how to remove the carb to clean it, can you advise and do you think this is the trouble. It has set up for a good little bit.

If u can get it to start with starter fluid then all u have to do is look at the bottom of the carb and if u see a little bowl at the bottom with a bolt. If u see the bolt u will need to get a wrentch to get it off and if it comes off then u will need to check the float if the float is pretty dirty u will need to spray it with carb and choke cleaner the let it set for at least 15 minutes the u spray th inside of it where th air cleaner goes with the carb and choke cleaner then u put everything back where it goes and then try to start it but if it don't start with out the starting fluid then u need to get a new spark plug and if it starts with a new spark plug and works then u have fixed it. If this works e@mail me at [email protected]
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 04:37 AM
    o.k. you say it will start with carb. Cleaner. This is a good sign. As stated by dogthebountyhunter, you do NOT need a new spark plug, that is not the problem. The problem lies in the carb itself. You need four things for an engine to run: air, fuel, spark, and compression. If the carb cleaning intimidates you, carry your mower to a shop as briggsdude suggested and allow them to do the cleaning.
    Also, I like to "rod" the holes on the carb with a small piece of wire, this will help to remove buildup and do not forget the holes that are located in the throat of the carb that goes into the welch plug chamber.
    USMCBARNEY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 05:00 PM

Recommend taking model number of engine to a lawn mower sales/repair shop to see how much a carb will cost. Ask to print a dighram(?) of how its installed. Most are very friendly enough to help, you can also take the engine model/type online to get a diaghram

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding mower won't start [ 13 Answers ]

Driving along and it died, won't restart. Engine turns over, fire is getting to the spark plug, but won't kick in. Anybody know how to troubleshoot this problem. I hate to take it to the shop, feel like it is a simple problem. It has gas, the plug is new, and has oil. Susan:confused:

OLD Murray Riding Mower Issue [ 10 Answers ]

We bought a used Murray riding mower a few months ago for $150. It was a great price & has worked quite well with minimal issues until now. So far it had only need a belt, a new spark plug & some paint. Now, one of the deck belts shredded & got flung off the deck and THIS is where my problem...

Murray riding lawn mower electrical problem [ 7 Answers ]

My mower runs but only as long as the battery has a charge. And then it dies, so what could be the problem? Please help I have a huge lawn and a push mower just doesn't get it!!

Murray mower model 40631x8a [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please tell me what size tires both front and rear

Murray Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a murray riding mower that I purchased in August of 1991. Apparently I need a new transaxle because it will not go in gear at all. The part # in the book is Dana model 4450-1 which I have been unable to locate, the only reference I have come across for the part says that it has been...

View more questions Search