Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    analvvyas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 05:05 PM
    I can see bone in my mouth
    After wearing lower denture for a while , I can see bone at the back of my jaw , what it can be? I think I have lost skin from there because of denture.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 05:28 PM

Leave the dentures out for a few hours and reinspect the area. Did it pink up a bit? Tight fitting dentures can pinch all of the blood out of your gums and make them appear to be bone. Might be time to visit the dentist to see if he can make some adjustments.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 05:01 AM
    When you say "after wearing lower denture for a while" do you mean a few hours or do you mean you've been wearing a lower denture for years?

When you feel the area with your finger do you feel gum or bone?

Definitely you should go back to see your dentist and be sure there is no issue with the tissue. I would think it would be sore in the area where you see bone if the gum is being worn away.

Your denture should be removed while you sleep or at least for 3 hours a day so the gums have a chance to breath.

Being a denture wearer you should see a dentist once a year to have the gums checked, denture professionally cleaned and an oral cancer screening.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Apr 6, 2010, 09:24 PM

That could be a number of things... Hopefully just an old piece of root from an previous extraction. You NEED to get it checked out though because it may be something VERY serious like a bone cancer or dead bone... Are you on any bisphosphonate medication (ie Fosamax) ? Please read this. Osteonecrosis of the jaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2010, 04:43 AM
    You are more at risk for osteonecrosis if you have been treated for cancer and been given bisphosphonates by intravenous. It's rare for it to develop when taking oral bisphosphonates like Fosomax.

Fosamax and osteonecrosis: Is there a link? - MayoClinic.com

As I had stated before, go to the dentist and have him/her assess the situation.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 06:10 AM

Amir suggest this could be a serious situation which could be true. However my advice to first see if the tissue pinks up would only take a few moments to confirm or deny that this could be too tight dentures. There is no fcatual error is giving this advise.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2010, 08:06 AM
    At this point we don't even know if it IS bone the OP sees. It could very well be tissue blanching or irritation. It could be leukoplakia. It could be candida. That is why seeing a qualified dentist is a good choice if it hasn't pinked up.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 09:44 AM

Amir1981 disagrees : painless bone exposure is extremely dangerous and should raise some major red flags (not just overwear or denture)

Amir, if your life is so busy that you cannot read the site rules here concerning the giving of "reddies", or disagrees, then maybe you don't have the time to offer help.

Be respectful when you post here, and most importantly read the TOS (terms of service). You have insulted a respected professional by giving her a red mark on her profile. Try not to be so arrogant. Not here.

Reddies are for factually incorrect answers and information. Where I ask is Flossie wrong? Nowhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identify this bone please [ 4 Answers ]

Found this bone on a river bed in Kansas an need help identifying it. I'm pretty sure it's a vertebrae of some kind. MySpace

Found a bone [ 4 Answers ]

I found this bone on a river bed in Kansas. I know it's a vertebrae of some sort. Please help me identify it. Pictures here > MySpace

Bone deteriorarion [ 1 Answers ]

My son has terrible backaches and has been diagnosed as backbone deterioration and it seems like nothing can be done about it. Apparently, an old injury has caused the bones to deteriorate over the years. He is taking strong medecine for the pain. He was told no operation could help him. He is...

Bone dry [ 3 Answers ]

Tonight my boyfriend and I were having sex (he got me off before we did it so I would be lubed enough) and everything was going fine until I started to feel a burning/friction sensation. I then realized I was bone dry. I have no idea why this happened. I don't see how it could all just go away....

Bone Loss [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Between 70 & 90% Bone Loss. I Was Told That Anything Over 50% Can't Be Saved, Resulting In The Removal Of All Teeth. Is This True?

View more questions Search