Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkb_552 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 11:10 AM
    Blades will not engage on Craftsman ZT7000
    I was trying to get my mower running for the first time this year. I had to replace the battery first. While connecting the positive lead on the battery I accidentally touched the negative lead with the wrench and caused a small fireworks show. I didn't think much about it until I tried to start the mower and I got no response from the engine. I assumed I had killed the battery so I replaced it again and then the mower started just fine. So as I pull out into the yard I pull the PTO switch and nothing happens. The blades will not engage. I did notice that when the PTO switch is pulled to ON position (even though blades are not active) if you stand up, the seat sensor will shut the engine off. I have checked the wires going to the clutch and the best I can tell the wires seem to be OK. Any help? Did the short circuit I caused on the battery possible mess something else up? Maybe a fuse?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:00 PM

Should be a 20 mamp spade fuse for the pto system.most of the time its near the battery some where.
    But the switch could still be bad.
    Turn the key on NOT RUNNING unplug the switch jump the two wires that are the same color if you here a click that is the clutch engaging which meanes the switch is bad if not look for the fuse.
    Luck
    Bison Mike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 05:25 PM
    Did you fix your mower. I have the same problem and can't seem to fix it. What was the solution?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman 50" Rider Stalls When Blades Engage [ 1 Answers ]

Mower has a 20 hp Kohler motor, is 13 years old, and very well maintained. New deck assembly this year. Teenage son runs mower out of gas. He puts gas in but it won't start. I assumed it may have sucked up some trash when it ran out of gas. I got it running again by changing the fuel filter,...

Blades will not engage [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 2003 Craftsman riding mower. The mower will start but you cannot engage the gears. Any help?

Craftsman Riding Mower dies when I engage blades [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a Craftsman 24HP riding mower 2 months ago. Just today when I was mowing the lawn it died in the middle of cutting. After I disengaged the cutting blades, I was able to re-start it. But every time I rotate the engagement lever the engine dies. The belt/pulleys seem to be working...

Blades won't engage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rally, made for Craftsman, model 18544B, 18.5 HP Briggs, 42 inch cut. I am told it was made byAYP. Blades have stopped engaging. I have replaced the PTO switch. Following the wires some lead to a plug in into the mower that is in the base of the frame on the right side, just above the...

View more questions Search