Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlpowers4834 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 09:27 PM
    240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet
    I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 06:27 AM
    The 4 wire receptacle consists of two hots, 1 neutral, and 1 equipment ground. The ground slot should look very different than the others, and will have a green wire connected to it inside.

Since every circuit must have an equipment ground, the only other two you can connect to are the two hots, to have a 240 volt with ground receptacle.

Not exactly sure what a three 930 wire 240 volt plug is. Should be two hots and a ground. You can use a 4 wire male plug and connect a 3 wire cord to the two hot and 1 ground terminal to extend to your new 3 wire receptacle. and just ignore the neutral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wire a 240 outlet ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have what I thought a simple project.. ok I have a 5K watt generator that has a 240 v outlet.. I want to connect my 240 v arc welder to it.. only problem is that the plugs are different.. I already have the proper plugs to adapt the connection.. I made a one foot adapter ( pig tail )... my...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

240 Volt Wall Heater [ 7 Answers ]

I have hooked both wires to separate circuit breakers one white and one black and connected them to the black and red leads from the wall unit and the ground poles on the heater box but it does not work. If I disconnect the white wire from the circuit breaker and connect it to the white posts on...

240 volt wall heater [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a wall heater in a room. The heater has a ground wire and a black and red wire. How do you hook it up to 240 volts? Do I need to run four wires, three wires? I have a double breaker at 20 amps already in the circuit breaker panel but what do I need to hook up power. Does one of...

View more questions Search