Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    metagami Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Stock in lieu of salary
    My employer, a small startup, is $100K behind in paying my salary. The company has offered me 200K shares of company stock in lieu of back salary, which I've agreed in principle to accept. From a tax perspective, what's the best way to structure the deal? Stock options? A stock grant? Something else? If if would make a significant difference, the deal could be spread across a couple years. Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 03:27 PM
    Whatever the methodology used, the stock is compensation and will be subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes.

You need to contact a local tax pro, either an experienced tax preparer, an enrolled agent or a CPA. There are so many variables (other income sources, spouse/children, total salary, etc.) that I cannot even begin to give advice.
    metagami Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Here's the proposal that's on the table. The company lends me $100K, which I use to immediately purchase the stock. The company pays my back salary in installments over three years, withholding required payroll taxes. The balance of each paycheck is applied to my $100K loan from the company. The amount of back pay is adjusted so that I receive exactly $100K after taxes, thus paying off the loan. Except for the money that goes to the taxing authorities, does any cash actually need to change hands, or can it all be done on paper? The problem is, the company doesn't actually have $100K right now. It does have $20K, so if we actually had to transfer funds between accounts, we could simply repeat the transaction 5 times.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 8, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Even though money has not changed hands, you have constructive receipt of the compensation in the form of the stock.

I see nothing wrong with the transaction, though I stand by my previous recommendation: Get competent local tax advice. Further, I would get the agreement in writing and have an attorney review the document before agreeing to it.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Dec 8, 2006, 09:41 PM
    Company pays you the stock (you report the stock's value as income) and the company deducts the same amount as compensation.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2006, 07:15 AM
    If the company "lends" you money with no expectation of repayment of the "loan", then the transaction will probably not be characterized as a loan. Instead, when you receive the cash/stock in year 1, you will probably be taxed on the full amount.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2006, 08:45 AM
    IntlTax:

There IS expectation of repayment. He says "The balance of each paycheck is applied to my $100K loan from the company".
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2006, 09:06 AM
    I disagree. This arrangement is being made because the employer is "$100K behind in paying my salary". If the arrangement were related to future services, then I think it might work.

Here, the net result is that an employer owes an employee for past services. The employer is going to provide stock in lieu of cash. The loan and later recording of salary is window dressing to try to defer the recognition of income (and to defer the deduction).

The U.S. tax law looks to the substance of the transaction. The substance of this transaction is that stock is being received in lieu of cash. No cash transfers are necessary with regard to the loan/purchase and salary/repayment. If any cash transfers were to occur related to these transactions, they would be circular (but for taxes paid). Circular flows of cash are often disregarded if the substance of the transaction is different than the form.

If this were to work, then I could "loan" cash to my employees this year (or for several years) and pay them a salary next year (or later) which would be used to repay the loan. The employees could defer the recognition of income for one or more years. Nice deferral strategy, but it doesn't work.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2006, 02:08 PM
    TaxSearcher, what do you think?
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Dec 11, 2006, 02:54 PM
    ATG,

I agree with IntlTax's point that this won't hold up. What the parties call it is irrelevant; the courts will look to see the true nature. Here, the parties have called it a loan. What matters is what it really represents.

I believe that the courts have also found that loans made where the employee will forgo future salary are not bona fide loans.

Reality is that he has received stock as compensation.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Okay, I yield to the consensus!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stock Split and Stock Dividend [ 3 Answers ]

The common stock of Alexander Hamilton Inc. is currently selling at $120 per share. The directors wish to reduce the share price and increase share volume prior to a new issue. The per share par value is $10; book value is $70 per share. Nine million shares are issued and outstanding. Prepare...

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Salary [ 4 Answers ]

How do you calculate salary? If a job offers you a hourly salary and then says your yearly salary is this amount, how come they don't average out. For example if the hourly rate is 14.00 an hour, what would the yearly salary be?

Stock provision and over valuation of stock [ 4 Answers ]

can anyone send me double entry for stock provision ? Provision amount is 200,000. further stock is over valued by 100,000 what will be the accounting entry for over valuation of stock. Early response will be of immmmmense help for me:o

Lieu [ 4 Answers ]

What is the Meaning of = In lieu of.= where this phrase & how is used. Lieu is English word or German word. Why the meaning of LIEU is not available with MS WORD Pl enlighten Regards Bramha

View more questions Search