Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kakiax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 06:20 AM
    How do I become independent?
    I am 24 years old. I have just finished University and didn't work much throughout Uni.

I struggled to complete my four year program because I have a slew of mental problems. The problems started when I was about eleven years old and include:

Severe anxiety disorders and a couple phobias, Obsessive compulsive disorder, chronic depression with bouts of intense rage, Cutting, sexual abuse and dysfunction, anorexia and bulemia, suicide attempts and now well I'm just coming out of a very major depression and am riddled with anxiety about my future.

I always had a difficult time holding down a job. Now that I am 24 and finished school I know that I will need to leave home, get a full time job and a place of my own. I have lived with a roommate once before for about 6 months but I was living off inheritance, didn't know how to budget or pay bills and soon ran out of money.

I have been working retail as I don't have much confidence to get a better job and keep losing these retail jobs (not actually through any fault of my own, just by employers not being able to keep me). It has been so incredibly difficult for me to keep these jobs too because I start to feel so horribly depressed and confined going to the same place everyday doing something that has zero meaning to me.

I can't sleep over the thought of losing the beautiful house I've lived in most my life and not waking up to my family or coming home to them after work. The thought just crushes me.

I don't even know what job I am capable or qualified to do and I don't know how to get one. I will also have to find something in the city and I am a nature girl so cities make me panicky and high strung.

How do I deal with losing everything I know, going off into a world of financial insecurity, keeping up with bill payments and taxes all on top of working full time and trying to stave off the stress of my numerous mental problems? I look after my family and household on top of work as it is and find it terribly exhausting. Now it just seems like I have to add a million more things to my "to do" list everyday.

People tell me it will be better when I have a job I like and a space of my own and I can always find a roommate but I have this inability to connect with people so I find making friends to be an impossible task.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

How do I deal with all this independence stuff? Do you just naturally start to feel okay and able to deal with it all once you have forced yourself out there, have that job and have settled down into a place of your own?
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2010, 03:30 PM

Hi. I had suffered from bipolar disorder 1 since 1992. My dad had ocd. I really myself have not been too successful living on my own. For the last ten years I have lived with my boyfriend and family-e share bills. However I do know that in some places community mental health offers programs for people like you-young adults with mental health issues who wish to live independently. They may offer you counseling and help you find an apartment. You could do research on this through the internet just search for community mental health and the city you are in or the county.
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2010, 03:31 PM

Also good luck! :)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 03:51 PM

I know a lot of times parents raise their children and then the children are expected to go out on their own. But, you mentioned that you look after your family. Is your family rushing or pressuring you to move out on your own right away? If not, maybe you could keep living at home until you're actually ready both financially and emotionally to move on.

What did you study in school? What was your major? What sort of jobs interest you? There must be something that interests you?

Have you tried counseling and/or medication for your mental issues? Both of them, or at least counseling might really be able to help you. A counselor could help you manage your to do list and learning to deal with your depression, anxiety, etc.

Also, what about a money management class for young adults? Sometimes junior colleges or community centers offer them. They help young adults learn about effective saving habits and how to plan a budget and all sorts of money tips.

Also, moving out doesn't mean you won't ever see your family again. I moved out. But I still go back to my family's house sometimes for weekend visits. My cousin goes back a lot more often now that she has children, and she lives even close than I do. But she still goes and stays every few weekends. Moving out doesn't mean you can't ever go back. And when you do go back, you appreciate it that much more.
    kakiax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. This is a super late reply. If anyone manages to stumble upon this, feel free to respond if desired.

My education is a bachelor degree in fine art (but not fine arts like painting/drawing/art history, more digital media type art. But also not design work). I took a whole bunch of courses so I never became very skilled in any one thing. It does make me very versatile though.

I will check out community places for budgeting.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2010, 01:23 PM

How have you been doing since you posted here in the spring?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent or dependent? [ 4 Answers ]

"Hi, I am a 19 year old high school graduate. I currently work 40 hours A week and am notin school yet. My father told me that when I file my taxes to be sure that I file as a dependent so that he can get money, but then when I file as a dependent, I owe Money. Am I able to file independently...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

As an independent contractor, What can be claimed on your taxes?

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

Independent Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to begin working online as an independent contractor. I understand that I will receive a 1099 MISC form at the end of the year. That's about all I understand. I live in Arkansas, and I was wondering... what percentage of what I make do I need to put up for taxes? And what if I would...

Independent Contractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I took on this part time job since last May and immediately they started paying me via Western Union and also Pay Pal. Never once did they ever discuss they'd be reporting wages, I always believed it was "under the table" money. They never had sign a W-9 or an independent Contractor form,...

View more questions Search