mighty_O Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 10:23 PM
    Can two traps on one tub work?
    Can two traps on one tub work?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 03:58 AM
    Hi MightyO,

Two traps are completely illegal (in terms of plumbing code) and unnecessary. A traps job is to prevent sewer gasses from the sewer system from getting into your home, so two traps can only lead to problems like:

1) clogged drain line (inaccessible trap can get clogged and will be hard to clean).

2) siphoned trap(s) (first trap could cause the 2nd trap to siphon out especially if the traps are close to each other... this would allow sewer gasses into the home).

Why are you asking?

Let us know more...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2010, 06:19 AM

Mark nailed it! Section 703.6 (Double Trapping) of The Standard Plumbing Code states:
    No fixture shall be double trapped.
    Please explain why you would wish to double trap your bath tub. Regards, Tom
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 5, 2010, 06:46 PM

Simple answer, no. Had the same issue in this old house - ugly fix.
    mighty_O Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 10:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi MightyO,

Two traps are completely illegal (in terms of plumbing code) and unnecessary. A traps job is to prevent sewer gasses from the sewer system from getting into your home, so two traps can only lead to problems like:

1) clogged drain line (inaccessible trap can get clogged and will be hard to clean).

2) siphoned trap(s) (first trap could cause the 2nd trap to siphon out especially if the traps are close to each other...this would allow sewer gasses into the home).

Why are you asking?

Let us know more...

Mark
    Just curious just wanted to know

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wasp Traps.How do they work? [ 0 Answers ]

Why is it that wasps (and other similar-type stinging bugs) can't crawl back out of a wasp/bee catching contraption that my parents use to trap them. The trap kind of looks like an upside down trapezoid. We (the kids in my class) were thinking it was because they can't fly out of there, but, why...

Plunger on tub doesn't work [ 6 Answers ]

The drain plug on my tub doesn't work. It is connected to the trip lever - when I move the drain plug up or down the trip lever moves - but it will not stay in the up position by itself. The trip lever seems loose, but I don't want to remove it without any advice first. I'm not sure who the...

Tile Re-Work in Tub/Shower Area [ 4 Answers ]

I had my tub taken out and a new tub installed by a plumber and tile put in by a tile person. The job has not gone well (the tub was damaged & the damage covered up and the tile person put two different shades of white tile in the tub area. The plumber is going to replace the tub (has several...

View more questions Search