Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radar2229 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
    Which is better Vista Home Premium or Windows 7 Home Premium?
    I have an HP Pavilion desktop that came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I have had to run system recovery about 5 times since I bought it in 6/07. The back up system which initially worked doesn't and I have to back up files manually.

It crashed again and I'm now having to do a recovery for the 3rd time in less than a year. In addition, the restore point feature is not working.

Am I better off getting Windows 7? I have MS Office 2003, IE 7, plus other software I have put on the computer since I bought it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 12:30 PM

Mostly it depends on your computers specifications. But in reality your using a bare bones operating system when using the home premium. If you can afford it and your system allows it get the ultra version. Ive known many that use it problem free. Also make sure everything is kept up to date including drivers and your antivirus.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2010, 07:45 AM

See what type of results from
    Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2010, 07:58 AM

I'm very high on Win 7. While I'm not in the camp that hates Vista and my Vista machine has been running fine for several years, Win 7 has more stability, runs on older hardware well and doesn't consume as much resources.
    Andriean Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 11:25 AM
    I recently got a laptop with Windows 7. At first, it was tricky to catch on to like with any new operating system, but after you spend a little time with it you begin to feel like a pro. It's so simple and easy to use. I have used XP for years, but now after using Windows 7, I like it much better. Windows 7 seems to have done away with many of the quirks from XP, and made the whole GUI a lot more simple and user friendly overall.

I have never used Vista, but I've seen a friend use it. I can tell you it looks nice, but from my impression it's more suitable for looks rather than functionality. Scott is also right about Window's 7 compatibility, and more moderate resource consumption. I have over 80 applications running at one time and my system doesn't slow down at all. It's also much more secure.

If you do decide to get Windows 7, go with the 64 bit version if your hardware meets the performance specifications. Your applications will run better.

Windows 7 FTW.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Widows 7 or Windows Vista home premium [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering since I have at least 1 laptop that I plan on re doing what should I put on for a operating system? It currently has Vista hp on it so would Windows 7 be a lot better?

Vista Home Premium [ 3 Answers ]

Computer will not complete boot up process. Returns to bios check from the welcome screen. Any suggestions?

Vista Home Premium - Toshiba A200Satellite [ 1 Answers ]

Vista... has anyone successfully downgraded Vista Home Premium to XP?? Ive been told that Vista business can be downgraded, but not home? Vista is proving to be slow:( to use and a pain :mad: to navigate... Any positive stories? Shell

Enabling administrator in Vista Home Premium [ 3 Answers ]

I bought my daughter an IPOD Nano for XMas. It is requiring me to install version 7.5. When I go to install, I receive a message that the signature cannot be verified. When I contact their technical support, I am told to uninstall itunes. However, to uninstall I am told that I do not have...

View more questions Search