Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tombug86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Home inspection
    I bought a home in July , a home warranty was purchased. I did not have a home inspection done. I need to know what is check in heating /ac unit . If a home inspector would have checked if a 2"X8" crack in the heat exchanger or would he just cut unit on to see if it works?:mad:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 06:20 PM
    It just depends, when we bought our home there was no utilities turned on to the house. So the home inspector could check for mold, check under the house, check in attic and the such. They could not even turn any electric item on.

So it all depends, but the average home inspector merely turns it on and off.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 08:14 AM
    Most home inspectors only test to see if unit work, at most, they will do a CO test. CO tests don't often tell you if there is a crack unless it is very large and not burning well. Always have a trustworthy HVAC company inspect heating and air equipment before the purchase. Quite a few real estate hire us to do these for the homeowner, prior to closing.
    electricalguru Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 02:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tombug86
    I bought a home in July , a home warranty was purchased. I did not have a home inspection done. I need to know what is check in heating /ac unit . If a home inspector would have checked if a 2"X8" crack in the heat exchanger or would he just cut unit on to see if it works?:mad:
    Go to Home Inspector - The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors and ask this question there, you will get a quick answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain pipe inspection [ 1 Answers ]

Had to get down there and noticed my trap is close to three feet from drain. Strainer. Pvc was extended away from this trap to middle of custom shower. In other words, shower drain pipe drops 6 inches into 2" pvc pipe that extends horizontally into original bathtub drain trap. It has worked...

Failed toilet vent inspection( Help!) [ 11 Answers ]

We have a newly constructed building(bathhouse) added to or home septic system.It has a shower stall,toilet ,sink,kitchen sink and hot water heater added on.Every thing passed inspection except the toilet(even the waste line to the septic passed).The inspector said its NOT holding pressure.It...

Problem With Home Inspection... Advice, Please! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello group! I recently had a home inspection done on a home we are purchasing and certain issues came up that were unexpected during the inspection. These are not issues that warrant us not wanting to buy the home, but we would like to be compensated for the expenses of repairs and upgrades that...

Central AC won't come on following home inspection [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the process of selling my house and a home inspection was just performed. Supposedly everything went okay and no problems with heating/ac were noted on the report. However, when I got back in town, the house was warm. The AC wouldn't come on when I adjusted the thermostat (on auto or on...

View more questions Search