Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Apr 3, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Clogged kitchen sink
    I'm sure this is a common problem but I need some advice on the best way to unclog this thing. The kitchen sink suddenly started draining extremely slow. I tried 2 of the liquid unclogging products and no help. I used a small Rigid snake and went in from under the sink where the pipe goes into the wall and I think the snake went up the vent because it didn't unclog a thing and it sounded like it went up. So I went downstairs to the drain clean-out and ran the snake up. The snake seems to just want to twist up and not move forward because the pipe is 1-1/2" or 2" and the snake just twists.
    I saw an answer from "Speedball1" about snaking the roof vent. Is this what you think I need to do as well? Any other suggestions?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 07:41 AM

The clog can be under your sink, where 2 bowl drains connect in one. Also, it can be inside the wall where drain turns from horizontal to vertical. Moreover, snake should go into the horizontal drain w/o problem if the line is clean. If it is clogged than you will encounter resistance. Rent stronger snake with 3/8" cable and re-snake.

Apr 3, 2010, 08:02 AM

Milo, I have a 3/8" snake I'm using. I think I might have just gotten the snake through the clog. I'm going to boil some water and run that down the drain to see if I got it. Are there any products that you recommend to keep the pipes clean? As a maintenance thing. Home Depot had about 5 different things that said they were for cleaning drain pipes but I'm not a big believer in them as it seems the stuff would just run past the GOO and drain on down. Waste of money.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2010, 08:12 AM

As a repair plumber I have never recommended using harsh chemicals. In your drainage system. Besides they only seem to work in TV commercials and when you try to remove the water you could burn your hands or damage your eyes. Trust me, a snake is the only way to go.
    If you find the clog's in the drain inside the wall you will have to remove the "J" bend from the trap and send your snake up through the trap tail,(see image). You'll tun into a bend about 8inches in but once around that you only have 6 more feet to go. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Apr 3, 2010, 08:33 AM

I've had all that apart and am running the snake in just as pictured. I had the snake all the way through to the clean out in the basement, ( I saw it with a small mirror up inside) but when I put water in the sink, it still didn't run right down like it should. Could a clogged vent line cause really slow draining?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2010, 08:49 AM

Could a clogged vent line cause really slow draining
    Sure could! Do you hear a gurgle from the trap as you drain? Let me know, tom

Apr 3, 2010, 09:06 AM

Got it! Thanks all for the help! Turns out 3 egg shells had gotten clumped and caused the blockage. What's odd is that I had the snake through the clog but when I pulled it out it was still clogged. I ended up pouring 2 pots of boiling water to create some pressure then banged on the drain pipe in the basement. Whooosh!
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad you're all fixed up. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 10:28 AM

Dave, glad you have solved your situation...

I do not recommend any chemicals. I have never used any in the last 30+ years I am in business. It is all about prevention. Watch what you flush down the drain. Garbage disposer is a great invention but it is also responsible in clogging our drains. Scoop all food left overs from plates to trash can rather than to Garbage Disposer. Only than put plates in the sink. If you have to use GD, then use lots of hot water to flush grinded food particles as far down the drain as possible. Furthermore, make sure you have sharp cutters in your GD. Dull blades will send large chunks of food into your drain system clogging it in the process.

Good Luck... Milo

Apr 3, 2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the advice Milo. We don't put too much down the GD but egg shells and veggies and that type stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a double kitchen sink, which is completely clogged. I've tried plunging it, both with a regular plunger and with 1 second plumber, neither of which made the slightest difference. I tried disassembling the pipes, but I have a non removable trap, so I can't get very far. Do I have to call a...

Clogged Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: When I use my shower in my bedroom, the water builds up in the kitchen sink.. I've snaked all lines from the bathroom to all in the kitchen. What else can I do?

Kitchen sink clogged, tried everything! [ 3 Answers ]

We have a single basin sink with garbage disposal. This has been backing up for 3 days and we've tried everything we know of, including: Clearing P-trap, Drano, snake/auger, and a pressure device on the hose. We've snaked from the sink, from the roof vent, from the basement. We've gotten only...

Clogged kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

My sink backs up and when I try to unclog the water goes into the dishwasher. What cause this and how can I fix this.

Clogged Kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a clogged kitchen sink after putting the rest of a pot roast down the disposal , no water won't go down both side I put a snake sown it 20 feet and it was clear I also used drano, but nothing works. What can I do ?

View more questions Search