Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tombug86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Day and Night
    Help,
    I just bought a home in July 2006, the home is built 1976. It has a 3 ton Say and night unit, I had it serviced in September for the cold weather. The Tech found a 2" X 8" crack in the heat exchange. I have home warranty but they refuse to fix it. HSA would not recommend them to anyone. I can't find a web a web sit for them, nor can I find out if any recalls have been call on the unit. Also is it cheaper to buy new unit or have repaired.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 05:54 PM
    I think you should have posted this under legal. You paid for a warranty, and they are refusing to take care of a major life threatening problem?

A lot of repair/replace depends on how old the unit is. If it is the original 76 furnace, don't even consider repairing it. Put in at least a new 80% efficient unit, maybe higher depending on what the installer suggests. Ten years ago I was told 90% units cost more in maintenance than they saved. Could be different now. Gas is up and likely continuing to go up.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 08:17 AM
    I always suggest replacement over a new heat exchanger and there are many reasons. The homebuyers warranty needs to fix this problem for you, read your warranty closely. They will usually do the repair, you should consider doing the replacement if you can afford to pay the difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Day & night heater age [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know how old a 373LAV036070 Bryant Day&Night forced air heater is

Old day and night gas valve replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi-we have what we think is original 1966 day and night furnace. Since we live in southern California and don't need much heat, it was sufficient. Now it appears that the gas valve to the burner is not kicking in and we're cold. We have pilot light and blower working. We were quoted a rough...

Day & Night Unit on the BLINK [ 4 Answers ]

I changed my filter in my central heating system and when I replaced the front the fan motor started to run. The thermostat was in the off position. I removed the front cover and replaced it again and the fan continued to run. The pilot light would not come on. It is a week later and we tried all...

Day & night creams? [ 1 Answers ]

Have you found any that are really good? I recently tried Avon and it was very smelly once on. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search