Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Declawing a Pet Cat. Do You Think That It Should Be Done or Not?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would prefer that cats be declawed.

2 12.50%
  • I would prefer not to have cats declawed.

12 75.00%
  • My cat or cats are indoor pets, so I consider declawing essential.

2 12.50%
  • My cat or cats are mostly outside, so I don't really care if they're declawed.

0 0%
  • I have no preference.

1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Given some of the <cough> opinionated people around here, I doubt it would take much. LOL.
    That's true! :p
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 12:00 PM

Hi Clough, I'm a little late answering your question but a Dew Claw is a single nail on the inside of the dogs front 'wrist' They can also appear on the hind legs.
    They can very easily get caught on things and ripped out so are often removed.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Thank you for your explanation and visual example, shazamataz!
    Pat1066 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 02:58 PM

I don't think declawing is any "crueler" than spaying or neutering. It is something that makes life a little nicer for the owner, and doesn't bother the cats at all IF THEY ARE INDOOR CATS!!! If they go outside, of course it would be cruel and not in their best interests to declaw them. The one thing to remember is that when you declaw a cat, you are saying "I will take care of you for the rest of your life." If you cannot make this commitment, then shame on you if you declaw the cat.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 12:43 PM

I think it should come down to the quality of life the animal will have.

If it comes down to declawing a cat vs putting it down... I think the cat wouldn't mind giving up its claws rather than its life.

A lot of people are against declawing. I think its OK if the procudure is done right and that cat is going to remain an indoor cat. Cats that are forced to live in the great outdoors, need their claws for protection, to find food and to escape.

I also think it should depend on the owner. If the owner knows how to handle an indoor cat with claws, then there really is no need to declaw. However, the people who have picture perfect looking homes with furniture that costs equal to my car... then to avoid re-homing an animal, the claws an go.
    Catcrazee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 07:12 PM
    Surprisingly, studies have found that introducing a clawed cat into a declawed environment poses no threat to the declawed cats.
    Cats do not need declawing, it's a issue in the owner's brain more than anywhere else, the cat was born with those claws for a few good reasons, and whether it's an indoor or outdoor cat makes no difference to why they have them for movement, grooming, muscle stretching, to just name a few, things they cannot do half as well without claws... not to mention trying to fend off a aggressive dog.
    Unlike spaying and neutering, declawing does not prevent pyrometra or cancer that can kill yoour cat from age nine. If it saves a life of a cat owned by someone to declaw, consider this - they were ready to kill that cat, is that a good and responsible owner, when you bear in mind the fact that one in three declawed cats are handed in to shelters and face death, remembering that tens of thousands of cats in the US are declawed.

I think a cat would far rather be rehomed than declawed - it's logical when you look at the studies done and results found:
    Cat Blog: Before you declaw....
    And Cat Blog: The Actual Facts about Declawing
    The blogger explains it far better than I can in this space.

I hope the senate will pass the new law for landlords as fast as the assembly passed it. Landlords do not realise that if the declaw goes wrong, the cat does far more damage and is far more costly - this is why education is key.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catcrazee View Post
    bear in mind the fact that one in three declawed cats are handed in to shelters and face death, remembering that tens of thousands of cats in the US are declawed.
    Having worked in both a high volume animal shelter and an animal hospital with many declawed patients, I find this very hard to believe.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2010, 08:46 PM
    Just a note here...

The poll will close on June 1, 2010.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catcrazee View Post
    Surprisingly, studies have found that introducing a clawed cat into a declawed environment poses no threat to the declawed cats.
    Cats do not need declawing, it's a issue in the owner's brain more than anywhere else, the cat was born with those claws for a few good reasons, and wether it's an indoor or outdoor cat makes no difference to why they have them for movement, grooming, muscle stretching, to just name a few, things they cannot do half as well without claws...not to mention trying to fend off a aggressive dog.
    Unlike spaying and neutering, declawing does not prevent pyrometra or cancer that can kill yoour cat from age nine. If it saves a life of a cat owned by someone to declaw, consider this - they were ready to kill that cat, is that a good and responsible owner, when you bear in mind the fact that one in three declawed cats are handed in to shelters and face death, remembering that tens of thousands of cats in the US are declawed.

I think a cat would far rather be rehomed than declawed - it's logical when you look at the studies done and results found:
    Cat Blog: Before you declaw....
    and Cat Blog: The Actual Facts about Declawing
    The blogger explains it far better than I can in this space.

I hope the senate will pass the new law for landlords as fast as the assembly passed it. Landlords do not realise that if the declaw goes wrong, the cat does far more damage and is far more costly - this is why education is key.

Once again--the problem is that the OWNER is not acting responsibly with those cats that are turned into shelters. The problem is NOT that those owners had the cats declawed.

I've had declawed cats for 15 years now. They're perfectly healthy, happy, spoiled rotten cats that don't get to go outside. If they DO happen to get out (it's happened before), they do have collars with tags (I don't believe in chipping), and they DO have back claws.

Now that I am no longer in an apartment, I doubt I will declaw cats in the future. However--I had the choice of having declawed cats or not having cats while in an apartment. I chose to rescue my cats at the price of having to declaw them.

Regardless what "facts" you throw out there, there are perfectly legitimate reasons for de-clawing. For example, my cats have lived 10 and 8 years longer than they would have if they had not been declawed---because they would have died in the shelter I rescued them from.

Once again--the PROBLEM isn't declawing. The PROBLEM is that there are too many irresponsible pet owners out there who turn cats into shelters to begin with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

Question! [ 16 Answers ]

How many people here have ever had an ex contact them out of the blue? If so, how long after the split was it? What happened? The reason I ask is because I think,somewhere down the road, ill hear from mine again. It seems to be a pattern of hers. She is talking to a guy at the moment that she dated...

Should I declaw? [ 7 Answers ]

Should I declaw my kitten? I have I have kids at my house a lot and some times they are aggressive. I don't want to hurt my cat but I don't want the kids to get hurt either.

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search