Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dukerod44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Am I going to have to pay child-support to my autistic-son's mother when he turns 18
    My son's mother is remaried, makes $10,000 more than I do. She also owns the home that we lived in when we were maried.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Apr 2, 2010, 11:07 AM

What does the divorce paperwork specify? The house makes no difference, as far as the 10K it depends on how much you both make. To change the child support amount you would have to file with the court for an adjustment based on a change in the income.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 12:28 PM

Her income has nothing to do with it, where she lives has nothing to do with it.

The state you live in and the level of handicap the child has. Often yes, the payment for handicap children will go on much longer. Has anything been filed in court as to this ?
    fh513 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0
    -

May 11, 2010, 08:08 AM

Child support will stop when a child turns 18.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

May 30, 2010, 04:19 PM

The divorce proceedings stipulate when the child support stops. My youngest son, who has multiple disabilities, received child support until he graduated high school, which, for him, was age 21 - because of special needs education.

Read your divorce proceedings!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 10:33 AM

If your divorce child support Orders that the child support ends at age 18, then it ends at age 18. If the exwife so chooses to she can take you back to Court and have the Judge modify the child support Order to keep paying child support due to the disability factor. But if no such Order has been entered and your final divorce paperwork states the child support ends at age 18, then it ends at age 18 period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my daughter on taxes, never married to her mother, pay child support [ 4 Answers ]

I pay child support, and from what I pay, I pay about 70% of her costs, and her mother pays 30%, as determined by the court. I have joint custody, and see my daughter a couple times a week, and 2 overnights a month. Do I have a right to claim her on my Taxes at least every other year. I live in...

I make more money than my son's father, will I be ordered to pay him child support? [ 1 Answers ]

I make more money than my son's father, will I be ordered to pay him child support if we go to court? I own a home, so does he. He has a criminal record, I do not. I only work 3 days a week, he works 5. He says if I take him to court, he will go after shared custody and will ask that I pay him...

Mother does not keep child man still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband pays his ex girlfriend child support for a child that she had from their two month relationship. SHe does not keep the child at all. In fact her first cild her husband's parents keep him, the second one her grandmother keeps her, the third one she gave up for adoption, this one her...

View more questions Search