Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robert552 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 09:02 AM
    Low hot water pressure in bathtub of american standard faucet
    I have a American Standard single handle faucet in my bathtub, the cold water in both the shower and tub is fine. The hot water pressure in both the shower and tub is very low. Is there anything I can do on my own to get more pressure in the hot water. Thanks RH
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 09:41 AM

Check your shutoff valve and make sure its open...

Second, I assume cold water pressure from the faucet is fine. If its low as well the aerator screen may be clogged.
    gmessina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 09:16 AM
    Have you tried running the hot water at the sink or in another bathroom? If it is low there as well, then your issue is related to the whole house plumbing system - maybe a valve partially closed at the hot water heater? Have a plumber check it out.

If the hot water pressure is fine in the rest of the house - then when you turn on your shower valve, do not turn it completely open to 100% hot water. The reason? - The valve inside is what is called a "pressure balance valve". It is meant to compensate for a drop in pressure from one side, to avoid scalding -- so when a toilet is flushed, and the cold water pressure drops at the shower, this valve automatically drops the hot water pressure side. When you open the valve 100% to hot (to fill a tub, etc) the cold water is effectively turned off, the valve will naturally lower the hot water pressure side as well. So just back it off slightly to 80% hot, your pressure should return.
    robert552 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 06:59 AM

I have tried running hot water at the sink and in another bathroom and also in the kitchen, both the hot and cold water pressure is fine in all of these places in the house, the only problem that I have is with the hot water pressure in the bathtub. I have very little pressure when I turn the hot water valve on half way, when I turn it on full, the pressure decreases more. I had this new bathroom built about 4 years ago and I have had this problem since then, the cold water pressure in this bathroom and over the whole house is fine. The hot water pressure in the whole house and in the bathroom sink where the problem bathtub is located is fine. The only problem is with the bathtub in fore-mentioned bathtub.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 07:07 AM

Does your bathtub have one of the valves with an anti-scald feature bult into it? As many single valve units have. It can be improperly adjusted. I know the Moen I have had to be set to get the right balance. Some others are thermostatically controlled.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2010, 07:21 AM

t water pressure in both the shower and tub is very low. The only problem is with the bathtub
    Are we talking about one valve or two? Back to ypou, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot Water Pressure at Kitchen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

About two weeks ago our kitchen faucet started losing water pressure, especially the hot water pours pretty slow. I have a walter filter tied into the cold line, it is also lower than normal but the hot water is pathetic. All the other faucets in the house have OK pressure, they haven't changed,...

Low hot water pressure to one faucet all others are fine. [ 1 Answers ]

Help, I have no pressure to my kitchen sink/dishwasher on the hot water side. My bathroom sink, not 10 feet away, has perfect pressure. The house is nearly 100 years old, but all I can see is copper coming out of the hot water heater and copper coming out from under the sink, so I'm hoping cast...

Low water pressure in bathtub/shower hot or cold [ 7 Answers ]

My shower/bathtub has no water pressure. It does not matter if you turn the cold or the hot water on. The rest of the house is not having any problems with water pressure just this particular bathtub/shower. I tried removing the water spout to see if anything was stopping it up, but it won't...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

View more questions Search