Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j5schwartz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
    What Happens A Pre Trial Conference in Civil Court for Debt?
    I am being sued by Capital One for about 1,400. I answered the summons saying that I am going to defend the charges and basically want written proof of the debts with a signature. I am currently unemployed, not receiving unemployment and have no income whatsoever. I am unsure of what is going to happen at a pretrial and what happens when you're in a situation such as mine? What kind of items do I need to bring to the pretrial hearing (ex: documentation)?
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Apr 2, 2010, 11:03 AM

In a nut shell they want to meet with you to work it out before any trial takes place. They want to know what your intent is in regards to the debit (i.e. it's not yours, your filing bankruptcy, etc.) I would bring everything you have in regards to income and debt. They may be willing to settle for a smaller amount but they are going to want to set up some sort of a formal repayment schedule. ~ G
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 12:30 PM

Yes, they will want you to attempt a payment plan or some agreement that both sides can accept.

But if you have no ability to pay, period, there is little you can do except say see you in court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I prepare for a Pre-trial Conference? [ 1 Answers ]

In March this year, Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP, wrote to me to collect an alleged debt, which they claimed their client, Midland Funding, LLC, had prchased from HSBC. In my response, I disputed the validity of the alleged debt, and requested the proof (a) that the alleged debt is my debt and (b) that...

How Do I Settle A Debt Before A Civil Bench Trial? [ 8 Answers ]

I received a summons in July from a law office. I answered the summons within the 30 days allowed in GA. I received a Plaintiff's Discovery Request packet dated for September 9th. On September 12th I received a letter from the law office dated September 8th stating they had received my filed...

Pre Trial Mediation for credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I had to return to SA as my Mom passed away in 2002 to sort out her estate.I was away for a while and tried to keep up all my payments, however I could not manage.My last payment on my Providian credit card was in July 2003. It's now 5 years later and I have a pre trial mediation dropped on my...

Pre-Trial Conference/Mediation tomorrow [ 4 Answers ]

Tomorrow is the date of my Conference/Mediation in FL. I've been reading the forum here and others just trying to get an idea of what to be ready for tomorrow. At the time I'm unemployed with my wife supporting us. All the advice I get is to make sure you show up first of all. But I'm unclear of...

Pre-trial conference/mediation debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a summons for a pre-trial conference/mediation from Asset Acceptance. I have researched the "intent to defend" and how to respond to a summons. My debt agency that helped with paperwork between me and the creditors is going to offer a 650 settlement. The originial debt was for about...

View more questions Search