Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Apr 1, 2010, 08:22 PM
    Asking for interpertation of certain legal terms
    I've been following a case of someone who is suing a hospital for
    Malpractice because she signed a paper that she'd pay me the money
    She owes me when (if) she wins... or settles. I looked up the case
    Under Unified Court and in one box it said other final disp.
    Also case diposed. Also Note of issue/no appearance
    Comments SOS
    Supreme trial
    Can you help me with this mumble jumbo. I don't know how to find out
    The outcome other then this. Thank you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    ... I looked up the case
    under Unified Court and in one box it said other final disp.
    Also case diposed. Also Note of issue/no appearance
    Comments SOS
    Supreme trial
    Can you help me with this mumble jumbo. I don't know how to find out
    the outcome other then this. Thank you.
    It's mumbo jumbo to me too. Perhaps if you posted the link?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 07:22 AM

Other - final disposition means that it was settled outside of court.

Doesn't the site list the various appearances, dates?
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Apr 5, 2010, 09:15 AM

So basically, it sounds like youa re following the results of a lawsuit because you have a lien against the proceeds of the suit is that correct? It sounds like you are in NY, if so, give me the index number of the case and I will look. Either way, the first thing you should do is send a letter to the plaintiff's lawyer notifying them of the lien and warning them that they shouldn't release any funds to the Plaintiff before you are satisfied.
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoutshu View Post
    So basically, it sounds like youa re following the results of a lawsuit because you have a lien against the proceeds of the suit is that correct? It sounds like you are in NY, if so, give me the index number of the case and I will look. Either way, the first thing you should do is send a letter to the plaintiff's lawyer notifying them of the lien and warning them that they shouldn't release any funds to the Plaintiff before you are satisfied.

I note that the person owing the money/having the lawsuit "signed a paper."

I don't see that as an enforceable lien. What am I missing?
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Apr 5, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I note that the person owing the money/having the lawsuit "signed a paper."

I don't see that as an enforceable lien. What am I missing?
    It depends on what the paper is, which is why I asked the question. Either way, if you call an attorney and put them on notice of a potential lien, they will at the very least look into the matter and address it with their client, which greatly improves your chances of being paid.

If someone like that calls me up, I would much rather settle up with them than leave myself open to potential exposure, or having to defend a lawsuit.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoutshu View Post
    It depends on what the paper is, which is why I asked the question. Either way, if you call an attorney and put them on notice of a potential lien, they will at the very least look into the matter and address it with their client, which greatly improves your chances of being paid.

If someone like that calls me up, I would much rather settle up with them than leave myself open to potential exposure, or having to defend a lawsuit.

What type of paper do you see turning into an automatic lien?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

Confused with legal terms [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if someone like my son who has 5 points in the system may take an alfred plea or best interest plea on a theft 2 charge. Some evidence points his way and some not. He is being charged theft 2 for a part in some tires that were ordered by phone by someone else he was the...

Landlord breaks terms of lease! Terms for early termination or lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Myself and my roommates lease an apartment from our landlord. The building we live in is brand new and we are the first tenets to live in the apartment. There are two apartments in the second story. The landlord also has an office/bar/living area in the front of the building, also on the...

Legal terms defend against changes in signed contracts [ 2 Answers ]

What are the legal terms used when trying to defend against changes in a written contract

View more questions Search