Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 05:39 AM
    Theft under or over $5000 in Canada
    Just thinking, do we have enough of these questions to warrant a sub category in this topic. One member mentioned that it seemed like a national past time in Canada at the present. I am starting to wonder. At times I am embarrassed to think that so many Cdn.young people are walking into stores and lifting like, $l50 or so worth of cosmetics. Yes, this is sort of 'tongue in cheek', but we have at least one a week now.:rolleyes:

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:25 AM

I'm the one who said it appeared to be a Canadian National Sport - and I followed up with in the US the National Sport is not paying credit card debt.

No, I can't see a subcategory on the legal threads. People post Small Claims questions in Family Law now.

I think it would be remarkably confusing.

I don't think you have to be embarrassed about what other Canadians are doing. It's probably the same thing (shoplifting) all over - it's the Canadian diversion program that has everyone asking questions.
    Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 08:59 AM

Hi, JKT, Yes, I knew it was you who said 'Canadian National Sport', but didn't want to say here and name the person. You understand, of course. Like I said, it was more or less 'tongue in cheek'. I think it is actually quite amusing sometimes, because they are obviously young people.''

In other words, just kidding. Thanks for replying.

Tick
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 11:47 AM

It was very much tongue in cheek and I've said it before - and I'll say it again if I'm not offending anyone. I think the Diversion Program has caused my problems than it solved.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks about a site called "Canadian shoplifting" or something like that. Seems it would bring MORE attention to the problem.
    Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 01:33 PM

If anyone looks to the right of their screen, they can see all the posts about this topic.

Tick
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2010, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If anyone looks to the right of their screen, they can see all the posts about this topic.

tick
    I get your point, but then we'd have to also have subcategories for theft under $5k in the US, theft under $5k in the UK, etc. And those would only be regarding debt. There are too many loopholes in one system, let alone multiple systems; you can't "subcategorize" something like that. That would be like trying to subcategorize all the threads about termination of parental rights.

And even if there were subcategories, people would still post about it outside of said subcategory - there are numerous stickies on every forum about certain topics and it's glaringly obvious that people post before reading those, or before searching the site for a similar question.
    Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    I get your point, but then we'd have to also have subcategories for theft under $5k in the US, theft under $5k in the UK, etc. And those would only be regarding debt. There are too many loopholes in one system, let alone multiple systems; you can't "subcategorize" something like that. That would be like trying to subcategorize all the threads about termination of parental rights.

And even if there were subcategories, people would still post about it outside of said subcategory - there are numerous stickies on every forum about certain topics and it's glaringly obvious that people post before reading those, or before searching the site for a similar question.
    Yes, thanks, this, but as I said it was basically 'tongue in cheek' question and didn't really think there would ever be a subcategory, and so and so on for that type of situation. I was basically airing my displeasure about so many posts from Canadians who were stealing such little amounts and wondering what they would get caught for...

Tick
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 03:55 PM

Maybe this is better posted in the comedy thread - tongue in cheek seems to get lost here.
    Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Maybe this is better posted in the comedy thread - tongue in cheek seems to get lost here.
    Yes, you got it. You have a pretty good take on things, thanks J. I will continue to ruffle feathers of my fellow Canajuns when they post regarding thefts. I actually get a kick out of it when they ruffle easily. (gosh did I say that)... no, no, no...

Tick
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 04:53 PM

Guess you forgot the time I said the Canadian Shoplifting Disease and got slammed by NK. Geesh. JKT has the Canadian National Sport and I've got the Canadian Shoplifting Disease hammered down with copywrites on the phrases thank you.

And yes, having the diversion program only fuels the little kiddies (regardless of how old/young they are) into swiping stuff UNTIL they get caught then they plead Oh, this is the first time I ever took anything in my whole entire life how do I wrangle my way out of it? Or worse yet, do I have to pay the store a hefty fine for a $10 item? Those people are pathetic.
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:10 PM

Right - we both hold copyrights. Forgot all about your comment!

And the US disease/national sport? Do you agree it's failing to pay credit cards or do you have another spin on things?

And, yes, I've seen NK take personal offense when none is intended. I'm still smarting.

I don't answer questions about Canadian law, by the way, unless I have thoroughly researched the question and answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Back in may I was caught shoplifting in a walmart store. I was never convicted or charged for the crime. I never had to pay anything or go to court. I was just recently askes to sign a consent form for a background check for a job. Will it mentioned something about CPIC. Will my...

Theft under $ 5000.00 Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was at a grocery store with my two children. I went into the make up section and I needed 2 lipsticks and a lipliner. I chose which items I wanted and as I was pushing the cart around with my two kids, I wanted to put the lipsticks down but thought to myself if I do they will fall through the...

Theft over 5000.00 in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on theft over 5000.00 in Canada? I have a sworn confession that a person entered my home - and stole 6000.00. This was reported to the local RCMP detachment and they simply said it was a family matter. This happened in 2002/2003. Can charges still be laid? At...

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

Theft of about $5000 - Canada [ 4 Answers ]

This is my first offence. I have been caught doing refunds for cash and gift cards at Sears. The amount as of right now is around $4000. I was wondering what type of punishment I might receive. I know I screwed up so there's no need to call me stupid as I already feel that way. This is my first...

View more questions Search