Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joey b Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 01:36 PM
    220 to 110
    I'm wanting to run a 110 outlet off my 220 serface unit how do I go about doing this?:confused:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Without knowing more detail , need to do some guessing here.

Sounds like either a dryer or range surface mounted receptacle.

If your planning to take off 120 volt 15 or 20 amp outlet from a 30 or 40 amp 240 volt outlet, without changing the breaker, this cannot be done, as the new outlet will not be protected properly.

What exactly do you have and are trying to do?
    joey b Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 06:55 PM
    I want to run a 120 outlet off my 220 surface unit (stove).
    I have a island in the middle of my kitchen (this is where my surface unit is) and it doesn't have a receptacle on it. This is very inconvenient. :(
    sollon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joey b
    I'm wanting to run a 110 outlet off of my 220 serface unit how do I go about doing this?:confused:
    Simply pick up one leg of the feed. There are 2 hots and a ground. Each hot is a separate
    Leg of 110 voltage.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 09:49 PM
    If the stove top has 4 wire service, it is easy enough to do, the neutral, ground, and either hot. However, as tkrussel pointed out, a 40 amp breaker doesn't give you much protection, and such an add on may not meet code. I know our range has a timed outlet on it, and assume it met code in 1970 when it was installed. I don't know if it has any additional protection. I don't know if adding a fuse would meet code or not. Not all easy, workable solutions are good ideas.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2006, 03:51 AM
    Doing this is not as simple as sollon implies. You need to remove the surface mount outlet, and replace it with a junction box, remount and wire the surface mount outlet next to the junction box, then come out of the junction box to go to a circuit breaker or fuse that labman mentions.

The wiring inside the range outlet is two hots and a neutral, not a ground, if it is a typical three wire oultet. If it is a four wire,then it has a neutral AND a ground.

You need to feed the circuit breaker off o one of the hot wires, and the neutral. If the cable feeding the range is only three wire, then you must stop and cannot continue, as the outlet also needs a ground wire, you can only continue if the range outlet and cable is four wire.

If so, then feed the breaker with the three wires, hot, neutral, and ground. Then continue onto the new 120 volt outlet.

It will be much more safer to install a new 120 volt 20 amp cable from your panel for your new outlet, or tap inti a nearby outlet.

The outlets that were on ranges are protected by a 15 or 20 amp fuse permanently wired inside the range, so the outlet is protected properly.
    ali malak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joey b
    I'm wanting to run a 110 outlet off of my 220 serface unit how do I go about doing this?:confused:
    220 TO 110 HOW?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ali malak
    220 TO 110 HOW?
    Can you re-phrase the question? This time with some detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

Question on 220 volt [ 4 Answers ]

How can one identify 220 volt appliance besides looking on the appliance? Does 220 volt devices have the same 3 prong (with ground) or two prong configuration on the plug or does something look different indicating that it is 220 volts? Lastly, I know on 20 amp appliances the plug has one...

110 vs. 220 wiring... [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a table saw at an estate sale. I got a good deal on it! I noticed after I got the saw home (I looked at it before I bought it, but didn't look close enough) and realized the plug appears to be a 220 plug. This won't work for me as I'm limited to 110; I'm a renter. The plug has 3...

Getting 110 from 220 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3-wire 220V going to my well house. I am wanting to come off the 220 to a 110 outlet. I realize this is not the safest thing to do but it is only temporary. My question is, I know I use one wire so I cut let's say the white wire and connect it to one side of this GFI outlet, Do I connect...

View more questions Search