Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meloniepaige67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 12:18 PM
    401k cash out questions
    Is there a penalty for cashing out a 401k for college that I just got through QDRO
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 02:40 PM

If you receive the distribution from your ex's 401(k) as the "alternate payee" through a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) there is no 10% early withdrawal penalty if you decide to take it as a cash distribution. But you will have to pay income tax on it. An alternative is to put the distribution into your own retirement plan (such as an IRA) so it can continue to grow tax-deferred.

Here's an article you may find helpful: 401(k) and Divorce

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k cash-out [ 1 Answers ]

A fellow employee was told by company's 401K company (fidelity) That he could not cash out his 401k period. Unless he had a hardship under their Under their guidelines , can they do that? I want to cash mine out, totally. I understand the taxes & penalties. Can they refuse me?

401k cash out [ 3 Answers ]

I still owe hardship loan on 401k but I would like to cash out how would or could I cash out?

Cash in 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I need to cash in my 401k plan from my previous employers. How do I acces my information regarding this. Is there a web site I can go to and put in my ss# or something?

401K Cash Out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am 25 years old and I left my job in May 2007. I have about $7000 in my 401k, I have just moved to another state and have been unable to obtain employment. I need this money desperatly, however I was told by my plan administrator that I can not cash out until August of 2008. Is this...

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

View more questions Search