Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ComplcatedTaxes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 06:49 PM
    1099 misc non employee compensation for rescinded offer
    Hi Tax Experts,

I am in a dilemma to decide where to put Non-employee compensation income from 1099 Misc. Here is my information -
    Indian Citizen on F-1 Visa
    Graduated in Dec 2008
    Had a job offer to join company from Feb 2009

The offer was rescinded in Jan 2009 and the company paid $3000 as a non-employee compensation which is reported in 1099 Misc form box # 7 (no taxes with held).

I am confused on where to report this income either on Schedule C (1040) or on 1040 NR's Line 20 (Unemployment compensation in excess of $2,400)?

I was in NC when I received cheque from the company, but moved to a diff state from May 2009. Do I need to file NC State tax forms as well, as I don't have any income from NC? Box # 17 of 1099 Misc (State / Payers State No) is NC

I would really appreciate if some one can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

~Vishal
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 05:04 AM

1099-misc income is not unemployment compensation. It is normally reported on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Since for you this is not subject to SE tax, you may report it as other income.

For state tax return, your income may be less than the filing requirement.
    ComplcatedTaxes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 03:14 PM

Thanks a lot MukatA - to the point, short and sweet answer :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I received a 1099-misc non-employee compensation for having my vehicle repaired. [ 2 Answers ]

I received a 1099-MISC from my vehicle insurance company. I had damage to the vehicle and the repair check came in both my name and the body shop. I simply signed the check over to the body shop when the repairs were made. Why would I get the 1099-MISC and what should I do.

1099 miscellaneous non-employee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I work as a physician in a private group that practices in a hospital (not my employer) and the hospital gave me a bonus that is more than $600 and they provided me with 1099 misc reported on box 7 (non employee comp). How do I file this for my tax return, how much tax should I pay for this...

1099 misc line 7 nonemployee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I received a employment settlement from my ex employer. I first filed a wc claim with my employer they denied it. The Ama dr agreed in my favor and recommended reasonable accmmodation. I filed paper for reasonable accomm. My employer settle my WC case in compromise with my resignation (I was told...

1099 MISC NonEmployee Compensation [ 4 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc from my previous employer. I'm wondering if it is correct. Here's some more specific information regarding it: I was fired from my employer, however, as part of my severance package, they agreed to pay my health & dental insurance for 9 months. I then received a...

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of doing my taxes using TaxAct and this income has me stumped. I was laid off my job of 10 years working for a government contractor. After a few months, I was then asked to do some work out of state for another government contractor. I was not their employee, but independent...

View more questions Search