Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    idk8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 04:05 PM
    What is a good science fair title if my science fair question is...
    Which salt will cool a beverage the fastest with ice and water.
    And can u make my question better
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 12:03 AM

Do different types of salts affect the melting stage of water differently than NaCl?

Your method is good... measure the speed in which something cools in its environment.

Just think of how it works...

When you mix normal ice and water, the ice is usually several degrees below freezing, while the water can not possibly get any colder than 32 degrees without freezing. When you just put ice around something it still cools slower even though it is several degrees colder, this is because of the way heat radiates. Very little of the ice's surface area is actually touching the object being cooled, thus it cannot be cooled efficiently. When you add salt to the water you are changing the freezing point of water so that it can get colder without turning into ice. No your water can be 27 or 26 degrees absorbing more heat more quickly.

Don't forget your controls: Initial temp of ice and water and quantity of each (Use weight, it works more accurately here.)

Also temp of beverage and quantity will be controls.

The experiment can also be achieved by finding the freezing points of water while saturated (or proportionately mixed) with different salts. That will answer your question about which will cool a beverage faster.
    tool8er Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2010, 08:39 PM

Look into some basic inorganic chemistry and basic atomic physics. The "salt" when it incorporates less electron shells / orbits holds polar liquids (water, partial positive Hydrogen end and partial negative oxygen end) more strongly therefore decreasing water's vibration and therefore temperature (atomic kinetics). Keeping the salt diatomic makes this research simpler therefore NaCl is good (and best because of "bang for buck") but LiCl is best because of one less orbital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Science fair title [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there! Well,I believe she has decided to do her science fair project on "Is Yawning really contagious?" We are looking for a great title. Does anyone have any ideas? Also,does anyone know if it would be o.k. to put ballons or something on the table to get attention and can I paint a border...

What is a good science fair title involving snow [ 0 Answers ]

What is a since fair tile involving snow

Science fair title! [ 2 Answers ]

The problem of my science fair experiment is "what is the best deodorant that doesn't leave white residue on black fabric?? I used secret,dove degree, speed stick, and soft & Dri Can u please tell me a good science fair title??

Science fair title? [ 2 Answers ]

My project is seeing what combination of lights and soil is best for plants. What is a good, catchy title??

What can be a good Title for this science fair project? [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I need help in finding a good title for my science fair project the topic is Do your hand gestures indicate your personality type? Please help... :( :( please help I need the title by tomorrow please... if anyone has a idea at least write that down so I can at least come up with one...

View more questions Search