Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larry Evs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Wonderboard 1/4
    1/4" or 1/2" wonderboard for bathtub walls??
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:42 AM

1/2"

Chuck
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 30, 2010, 09:01 PM

Definitely 1/2 inch but I would use Durock instead of the wonder board. If moisture gets behind the tile the Durock will hold up better.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 5, 2010, 06:24 PM

1/2; 1/4" needs something behind it - no economy here, use the 1/2"
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Apr 7, 2010, 06:30 PM

In response to my Durock comment, I stand corrected. I always thought that wonderboard would absorb water like MDF. After reading JazMan's comment I did some more research and found that water doesn't harm it. Thanks for the correction Jazman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Correct wonderboard installation? [ 4 Answers ]

I am building an interior hearth and surround that will ultimately be covered in cultured stone for a woodstove. I have constructed the hearth of 2X6 covered with 1/2" plywood with wonderboard over that. I have questions about securing the wonderboard to the wall for the surround: -Is it...

Wonderboard seams [ 7 Answers ]

I've installed wonderboard on the 3 walls of a tub/shower but I'm reading conflicting reports on how to cover the seams between the sheets. On the horizontal seams I'm using fiberglass mesh tape and modified thinset (the same thinset for attaching the tiles). I was going to do this then let it dry...

Wonderboard on top of concrete for shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. I'm another brave soul, sticking my neck out to learn how to install a shower in my basement. It's on a slab and already stubbed for shower and toilet. I've got it framed in, greenboard up on the upper walls, greenboard over a 2x4 stacked ledge to step over and I'm getting ready to put a...

Hardibacker vs Wonderboard for Wall Tiles [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have advice on which of these is better as a substrate for a tiled shower wall?

View more questions Search